Gone are the days of the great audition.

Only a short while back we could go to multiple audio rooms in a town just around the corner and listen to all the styles and brands of speakers you wanted. Now of course, only the bargain speakers are available for audition at that yellow sign store and unless you are very lucky the exact model you are looking for isn't reachable for an hour or two drive, if that. I'm certain from the desperation in some the posts in this very forum, that people have purchased things solely on word of mouth or even just specs and looks. Dark ages of getting what you want and yet so much more available. There is so much reviewing and so little listening going on. I live in the DC metro and wanted to look for some towers in the 2k range. The two places I went only had a couple of towers in that range and I'm just not doing the yellow sign place. What do you do?
jmacinnis
I live in a area of 1.5 million within driving distance of another area of 9 plus million..
Still i say no way could I EVER have gone and listened "to all the styles and brands we wanted"
Maybe many brands.. but most of the stores carry the same brands,, with a few variations.
So I STILL say I never found the wide amazing variety over my 47 year career as an audiophile.
And half the time the place with the speakers would not give you the time of day let alone allow a good in store audition
Everyone has made valid points. It seems as if a perfect storm has formed and there is enough blame to go around as to the cause. Greed and hubris are the main culprits. And this applies to the customers and the sellers /makers.
I would add this.

Is it possible that the MANUFACTURERS of high-end audio, do not want their products to be TOO readily available? High price and scarcity, equals exclusivity. And exclusivity is important in most high-end products. It seems to me that if the high-end snob brands wanted to expose their wares to the masses, and possibly gain customers, and make it more convenient for their high end base customers, their stuff would be sold in Best Buy. Or Crutchfield. etc... Or, ALL brands would be available at the same stores. Either way, there is a lot the makers could do to solve the problem. Unless they think a Wilson Maxx might contract some working class disease from sitting next to Polk or, god forbid, york! But given the profit margin they get on each item, they are doing just fine. It's your responsiblitiy to seek them out.
Cheers
As long as Magnepan, Klipsch, Vandersteen, Paradigm, Legacy Audio, and some others Ive owned are still in production, I am confident I can always find a great speaker at a price level to meet the demand.

Most the ones I'd like to hear now are Online direct sales anyway.
I agree 100% Rok2id that uber high end manufacturers do not want their products too readily available. In this MP3 era where the vast majority of consumers do not even care to purchase entry level Polks, there is no mass market anymore for HIFI. So some savvy high end manufacturers know there is more way profit to be made selling a few units at a very great premium rather than more units at a reduced margin in a shrinking market.
This is what happens when corporations usurp an entire industry!

These corporations have no soul so they cannot appreciate the art of music and the tools that make music and the passion and spirit that is felt through music..though the blue polo shirts are a nice touch.

As a kid my life was changed by my local hifi shops in Northern California in the 1970's is was the most incredible thing: the dim lights, the gear, oh the gear... and of course the music!

Q