Affordable "Thiel type" speakers are?

Hi All,

I am a big fan of the Thiel's highly detailed, transparent, tight sound. In my main system in a smaller room I have 2.4s and in my secondary system in an 18x14x10 room 3.5s. I like the 3.5s a lot but the 2.4s are a clear step up in all respects except for bass depth. I have been looking for 3.6s within driving distance for almost a year with no luck. What I'm wondering is, is there any other candidate I should be considering if I come across it at a good price (i.e. $1400-$1700)? Again, my priorities are detail, transparency and tight bass.

Thanks in Advance
drjay
I think you did a pretty good job of explaining what it is you want. I still think you may like a used pair of Audio Physic. Of course, they don't sound exactly like a pair of Thiel's but I do think that someone that likes Thiel will probably like Audio Physic as well. You should easily be able to find something used in your price range. As far as PBS goes, my guess is that you would not be happy with them. To me, at least, they are just very generic sounding. From a sound quality standpoint, they don't do anything wrong. But thats it. I know you mention that Stereophile likes them. Just to be fair, I should tell you that I don't read any type of audio publications. (Stereophile, TAS etc.) I've never found them to be all that helpful.
Why would someone recommend Vandersteens when the guy likes Thiels? Apples and Oranges.
I find it surprising that given your desires nobody has mentioned Thiel 2.3. They can be had for cheap these days ~$1K+, and are in most respects identical to the 2.4, which was merely a mildly tweaked 2.3. I bought 2.3s in '02 & 2.4s in '06 and have kept both of them as main speakers ever since, so am intimately familiar with their similarities. (2.3 > 3.6 IMO)

Frequency balance is the main difference, 2.4 having more output below 50Hz, less output in the presence region (2-5K).

My experience is the 2.3 soundstages better because the baffle is rounded w/o sharp edges and the grille does not interfere unlike the form over function recessed 2.4 grille.

2.3 every bit as detailed, transparent and tight as 2.4.

Same cabinet structure, slightly different crossovers, 2.4 coax uses a smaller more powerful magnet that doesn't handle high power as well as 2.3, woofers very similar, 2.4 has better spikes and terminals, both excellently constructed and detailed.

In fact, I can make you a sweet deal on my own 2.3s!
Well, just for the record Drjay, I've heard both speakers many times in many different rooms with various gear, and I have a differing opinion on the 2.4's vs. the 3.5's. IMHO, not only do the sealed box 3.5's go deeper, but are tighter and better better defined in the bass, as well as more coherent too, than the passive radiator 2.4's. The 3.5's do show bass limitations when called upon to play low bass LOUDLY. YMMV.
Don Vito
If you got out there and heard both speakers with a good low feedback amp
You would appriciate that its the phase correct area that they are both connected. They both play live recorded music with superb tonality while also preserving overtones thats where other speakers are much different.