Affordable "Thiel type" speakers are?

Hi All,

I am a big fan of the Thiel's highly detailed, transparent, tight sound. In my main system in a smaller room I have 2.4s and in my secondary system in an 18x14x10 room 3.5s. I like the 3.5s a lot but the 2.4s are a clear step up in all respects except for bass depth. I have been looking for 3.6s within driving distance for almost a year with no luck. What I'm wondering is, is there any other candidate I should be considering if I come across it at a good price (i.e. $1400-$1700)? Again, my priorities are detail, transparency and tight bass.

Thanks in Advance
drjay
Hi Unsound,
I totally respect your opinion and you are a gentleman whose inputs in past posts have helped me a great deal in getting my main system to the point I am truly happy with it. What I personally prefer most in the 2.4s over my 3.5s is the detail. I notice more of everything from top to bottom in a recording with the 2.4s and do not feel that this is due to frequency response issues. As Gary at Thiel says, "2.4s reveal everything in the recording whether you like it or not."
I see that a legitimate point of view of this could be that the 2.4s have crossed the line from wonderfully detailed into being "clinical or hyperarticulate". I certainly don't feel my 3.5s are lifeless or homogenized, so it seems perfectly appropriate to describe them as more coherent. As you point out it is a matter of personal preference.
If I run across some affordable Audio Physics I will certainly try to audition them since their design philosophy suggests they might have a lot of the 2.4 characteristics that I like, but my intuition tells me moving to Thiel 2.3s, although a worthy suggestion, would feel like a lateral move.
Based on all the input so far it appears that my best bet is to be more patient and just keep looking for 3.6s, which from all I've read, are somewhat more detailed than the 3.5s. I am, however, still open to any other suggestions.
Thanks to All
"I think the Vandersteens share a lot in common with the Thiels"

I always considered Vandersteens and Thiels opposites.
When you say you feel the 2.3s would "feel like a lateral move" are you referencing the 3.5s or 2.4s?

My understanding was you were trying to upgrade the 3.5s, but were very happy with the 2.4s as they are.

The 2.3s are a lateral move from the 2.4s, but my demoing suggests they are "better" sounding, more-modern design than the 3.6. Sonically 2.3s sound far more like the 2.4 than the 3.6. The 3.6 will play louder & deeper with enough power, but to my ear the 2.3 & 2.4 have more of those 'Thiel' characteristics you describe than do the older-school 3.6. 3.6 designed in '92 vs 2.3 clean-slate design in '98.

And in some ways the 2.3 lateral move may even exceed the 2.4s for you with tighter (though not deeper) bass, more perceived midrange detail, and marginally better soundstaging. Your subject line is "Affordable 'Thiel type' speakers are?" -- actual Thiel speakers for $1200!

OK, I've argued my case far enough :-)
Audioconnection
The OP wants a speaker that sounds like Theil. I was a long time owner of Vandersteen and I liked them very much.My friend owned Thiels and I thought them to be a bright sounding speaker when compared to Vandys. They are apples and oranges.I don't care if the design is the same they do not sound like each other. I still say why recommend Vandersteen when he likes Thiels?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thiel-CS3-6-Speakers-Very-Good-Condition-/150996919581?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23281e251d