how can I make the back wall transparent?

If this is the wrong place for this topic please move it

My listening room is 11.5 x 15 and my speakers are 3.5 ft from the back wall.

I have spent considerable effort tweaking stuff, to the point where the system sounds very spacious and deep, BUT it still does not sound as spacious as systems with 6-8 ft of free space behind the speakers.

Is there any aesthetically pleasing wall treatment available that would give me that depth without moving the speakers

Taking the wall down is not an option:-)
williewonka
Williewonka, sorry to have misinterpreted your post and hijacked your thread. Needfreestuff, GIK was one of the firms I consulted and they did indeed recommend fat bass traps on the wall immediately behind my heaad. Problem is, they are visually intrusive and incompatible in a well designed domestic environment IMO. I have bass trapping in the upper room boundaries in the "plant shelving" recesses of my room and it helps a great deal. It works basically like the bass trapping Peter describes. At least I don't have nasty room response problems, the space measures pretty good. I have a medium size 18.5' x 14'room with 11' ceilings.
Bass reflections off the wall behind the speakers does not affect perceived image depth. It's the critical midrange where you want to get rid of some reflections.

It all depends on what you call "pleasing" as far as looks.

A few panels of strategically placed Sonex will help immensely.

Some companies make some fabric covered shallow boxes filled with sound absorbent material (fiberglass....) that would do the trick.

Nice Persian carpets, that you so often see in pics of listening rooms, help.
Your photo or a stock photo on a panel.
http://www.acoustimac.com/acoustic-panels/acousticart-panels/
I agree, Tom, I think the op is talking about the front wall.

I'd recommend treating the room with bass traps / absorption panels and diffusors. I'm new to room treatments as I just hung my first four panels (gik 244 broad band traps) but I'm totally sold on room treatment now. I think you can gain what your looking for by treating the first reflection points and going from there!
Good Luck!
not knowing what speakers used u might want to try diffusers instead of using traditional absorbtion...many articles on the net covering this..good luck