Horning Eufrodites - help needed with boomy bass

Hi Eufrodites' users,

Can anyone help me with solving a serious issue of boomy bass?
Speakers are about 7 months old.

Do they still need time to break in?
Room acoustics? at first I thought so but the boominess is even at very low levels of sound.
I play them mostly with Jadis JA100 and the Sati 520b from Horning too. Boominess is on both setups.

Help!!!! There's nothing more annoying than boomy bass. I just can't enjoy music anymore.
Help!!!!

Thanks.
amuseb
Try Not to sit to close to the back wall. About 2m/7ft away from the back wall.
No doubt you have them placed a good distance from the rear and side walls and of course as required with all horns you surely have a large room.

Hi there,
I have been a Horning owner for 15 months now. Before you do anything to your room ... don't!

So Horning's energize the room in a way few other speakers can (this is both good and bad).

My strongest hunch is that the speaker in that room in ITS current position is causing the problem.

Given that you can't turn the room 90 degrees (short wall to long wall placement or vice-versa) .... I would recommend you start to pull the speaker out a little or move it back a little. Same with toe in, and distance between the speakers. Little changes will change how nodes and standing waves buildup!

I had imaging and bass issues on the short wall, so I moved to the long wall. Then I had boomy bass issues for a while there as well (but the soundstage and depth were insanely huge) ... so I stuck with the long wall, threw in a few plants into the corners and around the inside of the Hornings (between the speakers) and it helped a lot, but the bass was still not tight enough. THEN, on a whim, one day I moved my left speaker (kept the same toe in) closer to the right one by about 1 cm ...and then ..everything clicked! deeper sound stage, super tight bass (everywhere). And if you are wondering ...I measured everything to be symmetric. All I can think of is that the multiple woofers in the back excite rooms and since most rooms are not 100% symmetric ...one side was exciting things more than the other side.

Try that and report back, if you can.

AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you use bass traps around the speaker! The back wall behind your ears is fine for that. Hornings are true dipoles and their soundstage is all behind the speakers .... bass traps will suck the life out of those speakers! If you want to break nodes up .... use plants in the corners ...you want reflection/diffusion ...not absorption!

BTW, the Sati 520 should make those speakers sing! I have the Puresound m845 and it really controls the speaker very very well! I came from KT-88's push pull with a lot more power and the speakers sounded "just ok". Goes to show synergy!

Good luck and keep us posted. We are here to help!

-Assad
Assad,
You make some very good suggestions and have experience with these speakers. I 'd agree maximize speaker placement (although it seems there are some practical living room limitations). If this is only a partial solution then proper bass traps are an option to quell excessive bass energy into the room. I believe that the Hornings can work successfully in this room with some effort, it's a very good speaker. Amuseb, have you considered a professional consultant, your system is worth it.
Regards,
Thanks a lot Assad.
On a business trip this week, will do some trials when back home and report the outcome.

Charles1dad, regarding professional consultants, mmmm, if I knew one that wouldn't take me to bankruptcy and for little result (like many times consultants do), I would consider that.

Has anyone had any experience with resonators and their efficiency in untying nods?

Regards.