Which is better: Transport+DAC or PC system+DAC

I want to upgrade my dCS Puccini + Uclock, and as I´m reading very much systems based on PC+ DAC my questios is very easy, which system can give me the best sound?:

1.-Transport as top MBL, Metronome ... + DAC(MSB diamond with femtosecond) OR

2.-One music server or PC(Apple) based system + the same DAC

Thanks in advance
emigene
Hi, be careful, you have a killer good digital system already. You may find better power cords, isolation or interconnects more effective...

May i ask what is the rest of your system?
You will find this Forum post very useful in answering your question:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1361902022
Jfrech,

The system is composed by preamp and monos Soulution and speakers MBL 101 MKII, cables from Kubala Sosna Elation and David Elrod PC and turntable Clearaudio ref and tangential arm
My subjective answer to yr question is, forget it. Keep what you have & listen to music.

For the record, I tackled the dilemma as well and yes, I was inspired by the post Mgattmch mentions.

The quick answer to my experiment is, the PC (RAM to spdif out) -> DAC combo was clearly better, in very immediate terms (i.e., frequency extension, dynamic effect, liquid-non grainy violins, fuller sound, you-name-it...).

Of course this doesn't answer the question in absolute terms -- because the equipment was different & you use the clocking device w/ yr purcell and together they sound superb.
So you have a excellent system...congratulations, now I can see why you might want more than the dCS Puccini+Uclock (which I used to own).

The dCS Scarlatti's, used prices are great, is a killer upgrade for you. Last year I traded in my Puccini/uclock and for a Scarlatti stack...

I think you will find a transport still the better sound. I've tried it several times and really no contest. Are you into SACD? if so, not sure all your choices above allow it.

What about dCS Vivaldi? It's pricey, but in the context of your system should be considered...