Best MC step up transformer

I am trying to find the MC transformer for my system. Now I am using Koetsu Urushi + Audio Research Phono Ref 1 with Jensen inside. The sound is pretty good but as always I wanna make it better. I've tryed to use old Koetsu MC step up trans but was unhappy about it. The sound was dull, not clear. When I've looked through ebay and audiogon, I've recognized that they are a lot of unknown for me variants (from 6k$ kondo to 100-200 $). Could you advise the best variant from quality/price point of view ?
shmelev_dm
I use a Lyra Erodin. Very transparent, does not color the sound and let's the cartridge do its thing.
Dear Syntax, no voodoo here. Kevin doesn't believe in it. By changing an active device to one with a different transfer function you can effect a real change. Not the usual audiofool crap. In this case existing JFETs are swapped for MOSFETs at the input. I have been listening to the change for almost 3 weeks now, playing with the bias to find the "sweet spot", and can report that in some ways the change is quite profound. Gone are all traces of the somewhat "wiry" JFET sound; replaced by a more open, nuanced tube-like sound. However, if you are a fan of the JFET sound this mod may not be for you.
Hey Jjrenman,
Well said. Even considering the excellent parts quality in the preamp I tested it with, when you replace a GOOD element in the delicate MC signal path (say, the designer chose an in-built $200 output transformer) with a GREAT $1200 SUT, there's simply no contest. It's probably akin to replacing a $5000 preamp with phono with a $20,000 preamp with phono.

And yes, ONLY if your cart likes it. Mine does. Bob made sure of that when I ordered it... No guesswork!