Waaaah. Snapped off my cantilever.

Today I bumped the needle of my Dynavector XX-2 MkII, it's a big bucks cartridge for me, I've only had it about six months, and 2 of those months I couldn't use it because my pre-amp was in for re-tubing.

Makes me understand why some stick with CD's/Downloads and solid state equipment.

Looks like Soundsmith is the way to go to repair it, but please do chime in if you have any other recommendations. Thanks.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xdarkj
Like I said, "depending on the length of the cantilever, compliance AND OTHER MECHANICAL CONSIDERATIONS. However: Being a tuned SYSTEM; every cartridge is unique and(like every recording's mix) SUBJECT to the TUNER'S BIASES." BUT- Thanx for pontificating. =;^)
I am sorry a simple mistake caused such damage to your cartridge. I did that ONCE to a Benz Micro cantilever. Their trade up program allowed me to get a better cartridge. I am extremely cautious and give my complete attention/focus to my TT when playing LPs.

Contact the manufacturer to see if you can upgrade or if they can fix it for a minimal fee as you are trying to stay "brand loyal." Good luck.
Thanks for all the comments. I'm heartened to hear that at least some think that the ruby cantilever might even improve the excellent sound I was getting from my XX2 MkII. I did send it off to Soundsmith, and will wait 3 months. I don't mind this as $350 seems a reasonable repair price for a $2K cartridge.

In the meantime, I've purchased a new Lyra Delos from Hi-Fi Heaven. It's in the system but I've only had it for one night. I would say that there is definitely more clarity in the high frequencies. My system is a bit in flux at the moment so I'm not sure what I'll end up preferring and keeping once I have the DV back to compare.

I will say that if I break another cantilever, my next cartridge will be the Dynavector 17d3 with it's ridiculously short and well-protected tip.