Joan Baez - Do I just not get it?

Hi,

I'm a relatively young music/audio guy (24). I recently bought a remaster LP of Joan Baez "In Concert" which I've heard is a great album, both musically and soundwise.

This is my first exposure to Joan Baez - and not meant to offend fans... But I could not make it past song two. Now I love singer/songwriter music, and certainly enjoy female vocals and acoustic guitar... but her voice! It is unlistenable! She uses so much vibrato and sounds like a sheep... baaaaaaa... Stevie nicks can at least get away with being a sheep because she has the rock music to keep the attention away... but joan Baez - How do you guys enjoy listening to this stuff? The vibrato is terrible!
goatwuss
The "In Concert" record is relatively early in her career (1962). What you describe is simply her voice and singing style. For some, the absolutely crystal clarity of her voice is totally enchanting; for others, her voice is sharp and thin and not very pleasant. And, as you describe, her use of vibrato can be off-setting. But so many of us who grew up in the 60s grew up with folk music, protest songs, and Joan Baez. She's an icon of her generation.
Diamonds and Rust is a really great album and recording. I have the Nautilus pressing and it is worth it. She does have that vibrato but it doesn't bother me that much on this offering. I have'nt heard the piece you're talking about so I can't say, but these modern "diva" singers around today have that EXTREME african-american R&B modulation style that I find affected and overused. Joan Baez is refreshing to me in light of these current MTV "singers"
I suggest you listen to;Don Juans Reckless Daughter,Which has Jaco P. on bass,very good stuff!Im not a fan of most live albums ,,,,maybe you could sell that LP in the classifieds here,think the ad is free!
Please excuse Ray, it seems he just woke from a nap ;-} DJRD is Joni Mitchell, not Joan Baez. I also don't believe anything on Audiogon is free anymore. I also grew up during the 60's and Joan did have a beautiful singing voice, albeit an acquired taste. She is not a long-term listen for me either.
She was a messenger for a very troubled time. Equal rights, the assassination of Kennedy, Vietnam, riots in our cities and collage campuses created some very troubled youth who believed they could change the world. The messages from Dylan, Baez, Guthrie and so many others was change.

These "leaders" speaking through their words help an entire generation change the world. Think about that, none were older than you Goatwuss, yet the world stopped for a time, and great changes happened.

It's one of those "guess you had to be there" things. emotion and energy of generations are portrayed in music, it's not always good however.

jd