Joan Baez - Do I just not get it?

Hi,

I'm a relatively young music/audio guy (24). I recently bought a remaster LP of Joan Baez "In Concert" which I've heard is a great album, both musically and soundwise.

This is my first exposure to Joan Baez - and not meant to offend fans... But I could not make it past song two. Now I love singer/songwriter music, and certainly enjoy female vocals and acoustic guitar... but her voice! It is unlistenable! She uses so much vibrato and sounds like a sheep... baaaaaaa... Stevie nicks can at least get away with being a sheep because she has the rock music to keep the attention away... but joan Baez - How do you guys enjoy listening to this stuff? The vibrato is terrible!
goatwuss
I used to work for Joan back in 1976 (Stage lighting designer). We were touring on her Gulf Winds album. She would do a two part show. No opening act.The first half was just her. The second half she had a great band backing her. Elliot Randal on guitar (he did the solo on Steely Dan's Reelin' in the Years). She could really rock too.

She was using more of the vibrato by then. Early on she didn't use it as oftem. Still, when she was singing solo her voice was magical. Totally crystal like even with the vibrato. She did a show at the Academy Theater (hope I remember the name correctly) in Philadelphia that was so heartwrenchingly beautiful that the goosebumps on your arms never faded. I look back on that show as one of a highlight of thousands of shows I did for many top acts throughout fifteen years of touring.

Her albums just hint at what she was capable of live. Still, you get a good sense of what kind of vocal chops she possessed. I also suggest her earlier Vanguard recordings show her at the top of her form. I guess she sounds quaint now and a modern listener would take some time to appreciate her talent. In today's world of female corprate lip syncers and overprocessed no-talents, her pure voice would take a few listens to get into.
ray, Don Juan is Joni Mitchell but I agree it is terrific and I love Jaco too...
A friend of mine describes Neil Young's voice as sounding like a cat caught in a fan belt. I think Slipknot1's got it, it is the whole package.
Goatwuss, it happens! I am a huge Clifford Brown, and Louis Armstrong fanatic. Yet past "Kind of Blue", I just can't get into Miles Davis. I guess that's why Baskin Robbins offers 34 ice cream flavors. So I wouldn't sweat Joan Baez.