Joan Baez - Do I just not get it?

Hi,

I'm a relatively young music/audio guy (24). I recently bought a remaster LP of Joan Baez "In Concert" which I've heard is a great album, both musically and soundwise.

This is my first exposure to Joan Baez - and not meant to offend fans... But I could not make it past song two. Now I love singer/songwriter music, and certainly enjoy female vocals and acoustic guitar... but her voice! It is unlistenable! She uses so much vibrato and sounds like a sheep... baaaaaaa... Stevie nicks can at least get away with being a sheep because she has the rock music to keep the attention away... but joan Baez - How do you guys enjoy listening to this stuff? The vibrato is terrible!
goatwuss
Goatwuss, it happens! I am a huge Clifford Brown, and Louis Armstrong fanatic. Yet past "Kind of Blue", I just can't get into Miles Davis. I guess that's why Baskin Robbins offers 34 ice cream flavors. So I wouldn't sweat Joan Baez.
Goatwuss - nothing wrong with your hearing, she's dreadful.
Her star rose during the period of self-flagellation in the 60's when an insipid PC tactic to be non-judgemental no matter how offensive the material, project or performance started.
Joan Baez is a lot like a root canal - only feels better when it's over. Bob Dylan's next. And Stevis Nicks - please, don't get me started.
The only album that ever won me over to her was "Diamonds and Rust" otherwise I agree with you and grew up in the 60's. By the way that album, like Carol King's "Tapestry" and Joni Mitchel's "Blue" were written either about or after breakups with a serious lover/affair. Sure made good music though.