Joan Baez - Do I just not get it?

Hi,

I'm a relatively young music/audio guy (24). I recently bought a remaster LP of Joan Baez "In Concert" which I've heard is a great album, both musically and soundwise.

This is my first exposure to Joan Baez - and not meant to offend fans... But I could not make it past song two. Now I love singer/songwriter music, and certainly enjoy female vocals and acoustic guitar... but her voice! It is unlistenable! She uses so much vibrato and sounds like a sheep... baaaaaaa... Stevie nicks can at least get away with being a sheep because she has the rock music to keep the attention away... but joan Baez - How do you guys enjoy listening to this stuff? The vibrato is terrible!
goatwuss
stay away from Joan and try Joni (Court and Spark, Hissing.. and Heijira are all excellent

if you like singer songwriters of that era go for Laura Nyro - fabulous stuff Angel in the Dark and Looms Desire are wonderful recordings

Tom
Snofun3,
Maybe you should change your handle to "no fun". How do you really feel? You no like? Then you no listen! What's a matter you?
No one is as bad as Kris Kristofferson. He has the vocal range of a door buzzer.
By coincidence, recently finished reading an old paperbook copy of Joan Baez autobiography, And A Voice To Sing With, which was a surprisingly unpretentious (and, hilariously funny, in spots) telling of her earlier life story.
Her take on the early Bob Dylon is up close and personal, a limited part of her story.
What went on in a performer's personal life was well hidden in the good old days, before People magazine and paparrazzi (?spelling).
I think this is why I hate opera - oh - and Mariah Cary.

I know she can hold a note - so why won't she........just stop warbling like a maniac and sing girl!!!!

I agree Goaty...a point well made.