Joan Baez - Do I just not get it?

Hi,

I'm a relatively young music/audio guy (24). I recently bought a remaster LP of Joan Baez "In Concert" which I've heard is a great album, both musically and soundwise.

This is my first exposure to Joan Baez - and not meant to offend fans... But I could not make it past song two. Now I love singer/songwriter music, and certainly enjoy female vocals and acoustic guitar... but her voice! It is unlistenable! She uses so much vibrato and sounds like a sheep... baaaaaaa... Stevie nicks can at least get away with being a sheep because she has the rock music to keep the attention away... but joan Baez - How do you guys enjoy listening to this stuff? The vibrato is terrible!
goatwuss
Blah, blah, blah. Somebody doesn't like Joan Baez. No problem, to each his own, turns into a protracted discussion about the 60s. Don't forget there were people with flat tops in the 60s, definitely a lot more than long hairs. There was good music and bad music just like any other era.
Rja, you are (somewhat) right. To restate (24 year old) Goatwuss's inquiry: After listening to his first Baez album, he was, to say the least, underwhelmed with the sound of her voice -- which is all she really has to offer, since she's not a songwriter.

I think most of us simply tried to direct him to those recordings that best exemplify the qualities that made her so popular from the start.

If he seeks out a couple of those suggested recordings and remains unimpressed, he's certainly earned my respect as a serious music lover regardless.

Long hair and flat tops do remain == it's what's under them that has changed :~))
Nsgarch,
I'm really not too sure about the changes. My point was that the discussion somehow turned to politics instead of music. No problem here about liking or disliking Joan Baez or trying out some of her music. Good discussion material. I guess I'm just sensative to the politics. One of the reasons I enjoy Audiogon is the (near) absence of it.
As far as Joans voice, it's crystal clear AND powerful and probably difficult to record. When she first started as a folk singer she probably sang in small clubs either through a mike and tube amp or with no electronics at all. As far as vibrato, have you heard Buffy St. Marie? Cheers!
The late 60's to me was the staging ground for the idea that if you had a degree for a job which didn't have unlimited employment oppourtunities you created them. In city, county,
Educational and government workplaces jobs were created so people could ply their trades. Jobs from Real Estate to Pyschiatry were now being paid for by tax payers and this is why we have to keep paying more taxes and getting less results for our tax dollar.
Any way Diamonds and Rust is my favorite Joan Baez album and I have seen some 180 gram Vanguard Superlab pressings of her early work out there.
Rja,
I read this thread as a question Joan Baez-Do I just not get it?

My response to Joan's existence as a singer needed to be put into context. Joan symbolizes the very essence of the '60's turmoil. Separating the two in my mind is not possible.

I admit I later brought up politics as it related to PC. If that amount of discussion regarding the times we live in offended you, sorry. Perhaps you need to look at that. I will out of respect for your sensitivity no longer look into this thread.

Thanks to the others on this thread for a fun discussion, but I guess it's too much.

bye

jd