Joan Baez - Do I just not get it?

Hi,

I'm a relatively young music/audio guy (24). I recently bought a remaster LP of Joan Baez "In Concert" which I've heard is a great album, both musically and soundwise.

This is my first exposure to Joan Baez - and not meant to offend fans... But I could not make it past song two. Now I love singer/songwriter music, and certainly enjoy female vocals and acoustic guitar... but her voice! It is unlistenable! She uses so much vibrato and sounds like a sheep... baaaaaaa... Stevie nicks can at least get away with being a sheep because she has the rock music to keep the attention away... but joan Baez - How do you guys enjoy listening to this stuff? The vibrato is terrible!
goatwuss
swampthing,

I believe you're right on the Baez - Dylan thing. Joan discussed it briefly in the PBS special on Dylan. Sounds like she's still scratching her head wondering what happened.

Goat...some folks like rap & electro-synthpop hiptronica & I can't for the life of me imagine why..to each their own.
Swamp and Fish, in case you hadn't heard, Joanie is Lesbianese, and her relationship with Dylan, and marriage to Harris (I forget his first name just now) were, as far as anyone knows, platonic.

And for those of you who have apparently never listened to enough Dylan to actually hear him sing, I suggest Lay Lady Lay, or all of Blood on the Tracks and Slow Train Comin, just to name two albums. Perhaps, you have also not realized the man is not a songwriter, but a poet who sings (remember Leonard Cohen?) -- which is why only the bravest souls have tried to cover any of his material, usually with little success.

Bob Dylan has the most on-the-nose timing and delivery of any blues singer ever, from Muddy Waters on down, as any musician will tell you. Not only that, but he has perfect pitch and the most accomplished guitar technique of anyone according to none other than Johnny Cash (read Johnny's liner notes on the back of the Nashville Skyline album.)

Really you guys!!
Goatwuss- I guess you could say the same thing about Neil Young (can't really sing in conventional terms, but great songs and effective emotional communication). I for one like Baez' and Dylan's singing, but then I am one of those 60s headcases. Crystaline purity always does it for me. If she sounds thin, maybe its your gear ;~). And don't judge her by the present, she is not probably (gasp) 60+ and has had problems with her voice over the years. Her new Cd of duets with newer female singers is excellent, IMO. Obviously, YMMV.
Swampwalker - Yeah, for sure the game goes for Neil Young. I like him, but if someone told me they found his voice unlistenable I'd understand why.

And no, it's not my gear ( :

My issue with her is not "thin-ness," it's that vibrato.
Sorry, Goat-boy, I guess it was someone else who said thin and hard. Two qualities I would NEVER assign to Joan Baez.