Which Patricia Barber album floats yer boat?

As far as my knowledge is concerned and from all the reading that I do, “Blood on the tracks” by Bob Dylan is considered to be his best album by far. For Joni Mitchell it is “Blue”. What really amazes me is that there is no general consensus on which album of Patricia Barber is the best. Some prefer “Modern Cool”, some “Companion”, some think “Nightclub” is her best album! I think it is “Café Blue” Why? Cause the two tracks numbered 9 (Too Rich for my blood), and 11 (Nardis) strike a chord in me like no other songs of her. They have the energy which seem to ooze out from the system in spades.

Which album of Patricia Barber floats yer boat and why?
128x128quadophile
Her rendition of "Summertime" on her Distortion of Love album is haunting for a late night listen. My wife is not a fan of hers........It doesn't matter, I only have one chair in my listening room.
Sit, I do agree with you, and I am the last one to suggest that Barber and Krall are not true artists, they are. It is just that their particular art form leaves me with no emotion whatsoever, and frankly, if I was to use an example, I would say that Krall is somewhere along ''commercial'' art, where Barber in probably half way. As for Joni Mitchell, now SHE is a true definition of a true artist, and miles above Barber AND Krall. She is in a completely different league, and I doubt she would ever do a car commercial (Chrysler), like Krall did. This has no effect on her music of course and on her talent as a pianist and vocalist, but still, she bores me. While I'm on the subject of Diana Krall, I find it useless that they always try to picture her as a sexy, feminine fox, when in fact she is far removed from this herself. In this last respect, Barber imagery is much smarter, leaving us with blurry images so that we can concentrate on the music and make up our own mind about it. Still, Barber is of course very talented, if -again- boring to me. As always, a matter of taste, so I would never knocked them for trying hard at getting my attention. They already got my money, as I own cd's of both Barber and Krall - can't say I haven't tried, but they just don't do it for me musically speaking.
Every month or so I go through the music threads looking for something I may want to add to my collection...sometimes I hit the jackpot.

One thing you do notice very quickly, our musical tastes are all over the map...a good thing I'd say, something for everyone.

Joni Mitchell, nothing she has recorded flips my switch as an album buy?...Not even "Blue", she may have made a few songs that I liked over the years...I think?

Dave
I have all of Patricia Barber’s albums, not because of my stereo system, but because I like the way she plays and sings. I recently went to see her and her band in Davis, California and she is two-fold better live. My wife and I were lucky enough to get cancellation seats in the front row for the second performance that we saw, which was right beside her piano. It was quite different watching her put her ear right next to the piano keys to play and hear her moan and grunt. She was definitely in control of the band, but she gave every one in her band the opportunity to improvise on almost every song. She played a third of the same songs for each show that I saw, but the songs did not sound the same because of the improvising that she allowed her band to do. I wish I had gone to all five of her shows.