First song to "Blow You Away"...

What was the first song that hit you between the eyes and took over your mind? Something that really put you into an altered state (without the drugs).

The first time I heard "Whole Lotta Love" in 1969 I couldn't believe what my ears were hearing. Jimmy Page's guitar grabbed me by the head and turned my brain into a Denver omlette.
128x128dawgbyte
I Am The Walrus - Beatles

Very tough time for me when I heard it on Boston radio as a kid and it made me think that there were others in worse shape than I was in at the time so I think that helped.

The opening chords haunt me to this day.
Melancholy Man by 'The Moody Blues'
Dont ask me why,but the first time I heard this just a few years ago, I was literally frozen with tingles up my spine to my brain.
I felt like running into the street and screaming like a madman..I 'am' serious.
I dont know why,it was never a hit for them or stuck out as one of their better songs,but it sure blew me away like no other song I have ever heard.
Now when I listen to it I think "was I psycho that day?"
I've been blown away a few times in my life. For Christmas one year my parents gave me a new 45 rpm release by John Lennon called Cold Turkey. I knew John was in the Beatles and I liked a couple of their tunes (Tomorrow Never Knows) but I never heard any solo work by him. I've gota ask why my parents why they gave me that 45? Anyway, when the needle hit the groove I heard a guitar the likes of I've not heard since. John started singing like he was deranged and about to take succumb to some awful fate. I played that 45 at least 20 times that Christmas Morning and learned there were things much worse than the Bogeyman who lived beneath my bed.
Also one day while riding in the car of a high school friend I was blown away by a song that fit everything I had been searching for in the way of cosmic sounds. "Lucky Man" by ELP fulfilled my wildest dreams of the possibility of music. What was that sound? It was a Moog synthesizer. The journey had begun...WOW!