If you haven't tried them, you need to...

It's only one person's opinion, but if your CD player has the capability to decode HDCDs and you're not taking advantage of it by buying HDCDs, then shame on you. HDCDs add a level of detail that red book CDs just don't have. And don't overlook CDs with SBM (Sony Bit Mapping); you can find them hiding in the store racks if you look. Also, JVCXRCDs are out of this world, taking the detail to a whole new level. They cost more, but I think they're well worth it. I have the Eagles' Hell Freezes Over, and it's great. If I come across any of my favorite groups in any of the above formats, I buy it, even if I already have it in my library. They're that much better. Don't know what trips your trigger, but I recommend you give a listen if you're not familiar with these formats.

If anyone has stumbled across something else out there that I should listen to, please let me know.
rockyboy
Rockyboy, there are several CD's that have been remastered in HDCD and haven't been coded as such. I agree with you. There was a website; hdcd.com that at one time listed all the albums remastered in HDCD, but I haven't seen it up in a while. I think HDCD rivals SACD. Professor Johnson is brilliant! Too bad Microsoft bought out Pacific Microsonics, Johnson's company and raised the royalty fees to use HDCD coding. That is why so many manufacturers don't offer it anymore.
hi guys
is it possible to list some of these gems,my system decodes HDCDs
thanks
xrcds are a waste of money. i have compared the xrcd to the orginal recording and have preferred the original recording each time.

xrcds generally attenuate bass and give the apparent perception of more detail. i will not buy these cds anymore.

as for hdcds, i find them easier to listen to they are more relaxed sounding with possibly a loss of detail.
I see SBM all the time in the cut out bins mostly in the Jazz section(Miles,Brubeck,Hancock)and also alot of 24 bit remasters. I like the sound that the 24 bit remaster's garnishes esp. The van gelder Remasters.
Funny, but not all HDCD's are actually labelled that way. Nothing on the box or the disk for Cassandra Wilson's Rendezvous CD, but it plays as HDCD in the player.

Enjoy,
Bob