DEADHEADS...TOP 5 SHOWS.....

Amg lists DP 4 as a top 5 pick amongst heads...Ill throw in dp 12, what about Barton College, Cornell, Lousiville 74,Veneta 72 ,etc....
128x128phasecorrect
Your first is always the most special...first Dead show, first date. They both happened the same November night in '73 at the Denver Coliseum. Once we made our way through the "crush" and found a seat, we noticed the stage. The Wall of Sound seemed to ascend to heaven. Opened with Me and My Uncle and the ocean of sound was amazing. They played most of Europe '72, the best songs the Dead play, IMHO - blues, country, rockabilly, rock. Pig especially stood out, played the mouth harp like his life depended on it. Wailed on a quite small keyboard. The Dead, particularly Jerry, loved playing Red Rocks, and all the shows there were magical, as well - due in part to the setting, the vibe, the audiance and the band. A very spiritual place...and, of course, we did our best to conjure those spirits when we went.
Rballdude-
Are sure it was November '73? Pig Pen died in March of 1973.

Europe '72 tour was one of Pig's last (April 1972) as he was already quite ill by then.....

My first show was Watkins Glen "Summer Jam" in July of 1973 and PP was gone then.
I agree with Rballdude, your first show (early 87' for me)is always the most special, but for some reason, I found my shows on the "ten's" (i.e. 10th, 20, 30th, etc.)were always lightning. In regards to top 5, 77' shows are always there of course, but, when I discovered the Dead, it was the last run (April 71) at the Fillmore East that always did it for me and still does.....
I really like 6/9/77 (Winterland) and 10/17/83 (Lake Placid).

Lots of good stuff in '73 and '77...
I have asked this ? before but does anyone know if the US Festival show 1983 was recorded and released? I saw them there and would love to pick up a copy.
Thanks dead archivers!