Artists 'SELLING OUT' - can we discuss?

So, regardless of Chan in particular, what do you think of artists lending their music (and therefore their image, etc) to sell products?

(btw, I realize some artists don't own all of their catalog and don't have control over how their music is used, for example : The Beatles.)
kublakhan
Chadnliz, I understand your point now. I do have several copies of VIVA LAS VEGAS that have been performed by many different artists [The Dead Kennedys version is a favorite]. But changing the lyrics for a BONER DRUG ?!!!!

Unclejeff, The Rolling Stones are now a corporate enterprise and stopped being a R&R band years ago. They should only be allowed to perform a concert once a year...at a Halloween house of horrors! Talk about scaring the kids...geez!
..artists have to "sell-out" because they usually get ripped off by their own record companies....;)
I would much rather see artists making money from their craft than have the situation faced by so many of the older black blues musicians. So many of them never had the rights to their music and so received nothing at all, not even royalties from those who would become wealthy much later on from covering their songs._Mrmitch
Preperation H wanted to use Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire", but the family tasefully declined. Kinda funny though :).