Sealed MOFI's on eBay

Where did all the sealed Mobile Fidelity recordings that are on eBay come from? It seems that 2 out of every 3 MoFI's listed for sale are sealed, is this possible? Didn't anyone ever buy these to listen to? Is there any way to know for sure these sealed copies are originals? I saw a sealed copy of Led Zeppelin II listed for $495.00! Are these recording worth what people are paying for them? I buy LP's to listen to, something sealed in a plastic bag doesn't excite me!
rickcomer
I'm with Rick - Sometimes NOS is ridiculously priced and not worth it when you're going to play it anyway.
when the original mofi went under, its distributer liquidated 1000's of records.
"sealed" means 'someone' owns a plastic wrapping machine... That's about all you can trust.
Unless some chain of ownership guaranties the record was purchsed new and stored for all these years, I would NOT trust that a record is in fact never opened, never played.
In reality some chunk of junk may be inside that 'sealed' LP sleeve, and the seller can claim YOU swapped out some crap/ he didn't know because it was sealed.. etc
Forget sealed, it is a fantasy.
(Though I do find some still sealed records on the secondhand market, they are NOT overpriced, and no-one cares if you slit it open to look!
So they ARE out there, just avoid the overpriced stuff.
IMO sealed is nothing, the price is the same for a NearMint copy, AND you should be able to open it in the sellers presence!! to determine if it is a pristine copy of the correct record!
Many of the MOFI recordings suck a la Aja and Sticky Fingers.

There are exceptions, of course, such as Crime of the Century which is spectacular.

A great majority are valued for their collectibility not sonics.