Best vinyl version of "Bridge Over Troubled Water"

I have two copies of this Simon & Garfunkel album - one poorly cared-for copy from the 70's, and a brand new German pressing by Columbia/Legacy Euro. Neither of them sound particularly great. In particular, both suffer from audible distortion on the climactic passages at the end of the title track.
Can anyone recommend a particular pressing that sounds good? How about the Classic Records reissue?
Thanks,
Mika
mwaller
the latest cd's from sony are superior to both the classic records re-issues.....here's hoping someone will do new vinyl, and hopefully do bookends too......the japanese mini lp cd's are cool too.
I have the R2R, Seven Speed, and it beats all the vinyl. No reissue can better that sound.
I've never heard an issue, CD or LP, of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" that sounded particularly good. Always baffled me, since "Bookends" and "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, & Thyme" (earlier records) sounded so great. I noticed the same thing with The Who. "Tommy" is a better recording than anything that came after. "Face Dances" is actually on par with "Tommy" (although the music is not on par, but comparisons to "Tommy" aren't fair, even for The Who!).
>>Tommy" is a better recording than anything that came after.<<

Not quite true.

"Quadrophenia" has much better dynamics than "Tommy" and is easily their best sounding record.

This is based on the original USA 1969 "Tommy" and 1973 "Quadrophenia" releases. Can't speak to foreign releases or reissues.
Have the Classic version. Overall a good if not great pressing that has detail and balance. Recommended, which is more than I can say for several other Classic recordings I own: Peter Gabriel 2 a total disaster in the lead in on side 1. Sounds like the stylus is running through 3/4 inch gravel.