Isaac Hayes

first time I heard him was on 8-track in a black 71 eldorado convertible rolling down las olas boulevard with the top down...."Black Moses" what a classic timeless album I still listen to (especially) today. Who could forget 'Gandy' for fans of Rockford (rockfish) Files. Another Memphis soul icon has passed........thanks for all the great music & laughs Ike, RIP.
128x128pehare
Acoustic Sounds put out a 45 RPM 3 song record with 3 cuts from Shaft including the theme song. Sounds real good - recommended if its still in stock!
Hayes was amazing in so many ways, including - most apprapot to this crowd - his focus on the sonic impact of his music. The theme to Shaft is one of the all time great studio effects records. Anyone who owns the LP should break it out for a listen - the harmonies and pan-potted strings are an audio roller coaster. I sometimes use it as a demo for people who express an interest in hearing my system. It's always a first impulse to use vocals, jazz, or orchestral music to show off a good system, but this record always knocks 'em dead.

I'm not sure he ever got all the credit he deserved, but he will be missed around here.
Kinda of cool to explore "Joy" and "To be continued" again.
Everyone speaks to "Shaft" as his best work but I think these are the records I will keep coming back to.
Martyk1, I agree, the cd I have of "Shaft" is a tour de force recording of great quality and could really make an excellent demo for anyone's system.