Who was your first

What was the first jazz artist that got you hooked on jazz? I was in a high end audio store and the salesperson put on Dianna Krall All or nothing at all on a pair of B&W's and ever since then I was hooked. And that is what led me down this never ending audio addiction.
128x128mlawitm
Interesting thread. Back when all I listened to was mind bending rock like Hendrix, King Crimson and Procul Harum I bought Miles Davis Bitches Brew for the cover art. Man was I disappointed; it sounded like incomprehensible, unmusical noise. A short while later by a lucky coincidence I heard the McCoy Tyner album Trident and several by Rahsaan Roland Kirk. I've been hooked ever since. 30 years later Bitches Brew sounds out-of-this-world marvelous but hey, that's not really jazz, it's that more mainstream, stepchild fusion music, haha.
john klemmer- touch, around 30 years ago. i still have the mobile fidelity album, just listened to it a month ago.
My dad liked Al Hirt when I was kid. That was my first real exposure.

Later, "My favorite Things" by Coltrane on 70's era FM public radio caught my ear.

Chuck Mangione "Feels So Good" was my first album purchase as I recall.
Laugh if you want, but I would say that my first step into jazz was listening to Spyro Gyra's Morning Dance on a Nautilus Super disc in a audio store on some Maggie speakers in 1979. I went out and bought the LP, not the speakers. I was still heavy into my rock phase at this time, Zepplin, Skynard, Floyd, etc.

Fast forward about 20 years later, and Miles Davis started developing my current tastes, where jazz is my prime genre of choice.

Cheers,
John