Konfounding Kinks

Sometimes we revisit old favorites with new appreciation. the kinks had a run of albums..'face to face', 'something else', 'the village green preservation society', and 'arthur' which rank with the best of any rock band at the time, and lately i have started to spin them alot. any kinks fans ever kontimplate just how incrdible they were?
jaybo
The Kinks get a large % of the available listening time in my house. They were a venturesome group artistically and pushed a lot of limits in their day + a lot of their stuff including material from their artsy/higher concept days in the early 70's holds up very well to this day.

Pop/rock music owes a lot more to those guys then I think they they ever get credit for.
i actually thought their heyday went right up through 'everybody's in showbiz'. one night after a flight back home, i heard 'victoria' on the radio and had a religious experience(first time in my lifetime i ever heard that song on fm radio).
Couldn't agree with you more. If you haven't heard it yet check out the double CD 'To The Bone'. It was recorded in 94' at Konk Studio in front of a small audience and includes a lot of their best hits. It's out of print but can be found on Ebay.
Jaybo,

I think you meant inkredible.

Ray Davies wrote some great, classic, minimalist rock songs and some bizarre, mannered music hall numbers as well as the extended compositions/concept albums - the latter work produced decidely mixed results. The early stuff may be the most memorable, but a fair bit of great music can actually be found amidst the crap in his worst excesses.

BTW, I believe that Dave Davies is one of the really underrated guitars of his day. (Check out the solo in "I'm Not Like Everybody Else".)

The live shows ocassionally got surreal - elaborate sets and transvestite dancers turned up here and there. The band was a soap opera and I actually saw a (brief) fight between the brothers during a virtually no attendance show in the late Seventies (I believe it was the eminently forgetable "Schoolboys in Disgrace" tour).

IMHO, Ray's recent solo record contains his strongest tunes in some time.

Marty

PS I believe that "You Really Got Me" is the holy grail of ringtones!
More to discover