Hi-End for Black Metal?

Hello!

I am 33 and come from Russia. My passion is heavy music, namely Black Metal. I find it fascinating. I feel like a hermit because those friends of mine which are audiophiles do not like black metal. And those friends which like black metal (actually, play it even in bands!) couldn't care less about high quality audio gear.

Are there any people like me who own hi-fi/hi-end equipment to listen to heavy metal genres?
ironmine
Waltwalden,
Thanks for recommending Metsatöll, I'll check them out. I liked how they were reviewed on metal-archives.com

Shadorne,
I will try to find Maceo Parker Roots and Grooves Live and listen to them.

Stevecham,
When you wrote "listening into the depths of what are usually highly compressed recordings of that genre", you rubbed salt into my wounded ears, because you cannot imagine my frustration over the fact that more and more metal bands fall victims to Loudness Wars. Some metal albums are plain unlistenable on hi-fi rigs. It's even more grievous that most metal fans simply do not understand you when you start complaining about the narrow dynamic range of metal releases. Here's an example: www.panzerbattalion.se/showthread.php?t=1133 I started that thread to voice my dissatisfation with the sound recording quality of otherwise great band - Sabaton. And just look what happened...

Chashmal,
I didn't say that "Axis of perdition" was not *radical*. They might be radical, for sure they are, but will you agree that this band can hardly be called a *typical* representative of BM?

I wonder what my neighbors think when I listen first to Insomnium "2002 - In The Halls Of Awaiting" followed by Eva Cassidy "1998 - Songbird"? But what can I do? I like all emotions in music, as long as they are expressed in a talented and sincere manner...
Ironmine,
you will be truly loved on Audiogon if you start quoting all the figures below, as you did on the panzerbattalion site.

'Ok, let's take 3 tracks. According to SoundForge:
02 - Ghost Division.wav Peak value = 0 dB, RMS = -4.2 dB.
03 - The Art of War.wav Peak value = 0 dB, RMS = -5.6 dB.
05 - Unbreakable.wav Peak value = 0 dB, RMS = -6.0 dB.

Now, if the peak (maximum) value is 0 db and RMS value is -4,2 dB, it means that the dynamic range is 8.4 dB. The other tracks, accordingly, are 11.2 dB and 12 dB.

Well, if you like to listen to 8.4 - 12 dB dynamic range, then good luck to you... As for me, I treat such sound production as crappy, highly unprofessional and lacking respect to me as a listener...

Bye, my non-audiophilic friend... '

A response from a member with regard to your post on panzerbattalion to you;

'I have had no such problems with The Art of War. So either your speakers/ears are broken, or you might have been fucked over while buying it'.

What equipment do you use that causes you such angst?

Cashmal;
I do not think it was a contest as to who is the most 'radical'.I have to admit that Mr Cage certainly takes the biscuit by composing a piece of music 4.33 where there is not a note being played, only silence for 4.33sec.I wonder how long it took him to compose. Must look out for the manuscript.
For those unfamiliar with it for your delight and entertainment here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHEZk6dSReI
Gawdbless,

I have the following equipment:
DAC: April Music Stello DA100
Pre-amp: April Music Stello HP100
Amp: NAD C320BEE (I use the power section only)
Speakers: Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo Three

I understand that it's far from being super hi-end, but I do not belong to the category of "New Russians" (nouveau riche). I live 6000 kms away from Moscow in the place where - ok, where it's hard to be an audiophile.

You ask me what caused my angst. Well, don't you find it exasperating when you get an album by one of your favorite bands only to find it to be just another totally unlistenable victim of Loudness Wars, you log in to the band's forum hoping that other fans of this band share your indignation at how your favorite music was mutilated by sound producers. But instead of the collective support you find either the absolute incomprehension, or attempts to defend the squashed dynamics.

When I listen to some heavy metal albums (BM included), which have fallen prey to Loudness Wars, I feel robbed of something very important which the musicians tried to bring to me, but it never made its way to me, because of the interference of studio men. They stole it. Threw it away. It wasn't considered important by them. Arghhh!!! I almost visualize the strangled sine waveforms, which, as they oscillate in a ridiculously narrow range left to them, choke and strive for BREATHING, throbbing against the zero dB ceiling. Like a fish dying under the ice of the lack of oxygen...
2chnlben,
Couldn't agree with you more. I honestly tried to listen to that estonian band linked here, as well, as many examples of the genre, that my nephew and his friend tried to feed me with- it all sounds utterly the same, low quality of musicianship, lack of musical ideas. Attempt to remain within the boundaries (which are pretty narrow to begin with) of the genre, really hurts the creativity process.
It all sounds forced, artificial and anti- intellectual to me.
The other aspect is the growling of the lead vocalist- is that suppose to convey angst or other strong emotions?
If that's the case, the genre totally failed to employ more subtle and musical ques to do the same, another evidence of the low quality. If your arsenal is growling, high speed guitar playing and lack of any resemblance to melody and rythm, then you're preaching to a very specific type of listener. Being at a few rock shows, I can easily picture the type- majority couln't have care less about the music, it is all about release of emotions in very negative and violent way.
Even my nephew, who listens to nothing else, but metal, said "that's it for me", after attending "Iced Earth" show.
To me, the whole genre has a strong flavor of immaturity, unprofessionalism and lack of musical virtues.
At a risk of making overgeneralized statement, the same goes for rap, as well.
And, BTW, I'm absolutely with Shadorne on AC/DC- recordings and life show- one of the best, I ever attended, minus the crowds.
i am in no way into black metal much more, but as regards musicianship in metsatöll, the key figure behind it is highly qualified musician and a multi-instrumentalist - a student of Veljo Tormis and by his own words a probable successor of his job (you are right about vocal qualities i guess though, but metal bands hardly have huge vocal talents in front). i also hope they will improve with Sony now, but won´t lose their distinctive sound. but i guess it is also a matter of taste and you seem to be in a bit wrong thread. some people hardly thought anything of jazz back in the days. i happen to like hiphop as well (also linked to youth), quite possibly because of some of it´s energy not necessarily because of musicianship.