Top 5 Rock n Roll Vocalists

My 6 year old daughter posed this question. I thought it was great. She also said that she knew her favorites were not the best. Here are my choices, which are not necessarily my favorites:

No particular order:

Robert Plant
Freddie Mercury
Axl Rose
Janis Joplin
Paul Rodgers
jtinn
The ability for a singer to produce a large variety of engaging musical sounds is really what I like hearing. I'd put the front vocalist for Yes, Beatles' Lennon & McCartney, both together and independently, Creedences' Fogerty strength and simplicity, Dylan's very involving and unique variety of vocal sounds, and Zep's Plant, minus the "sick bird syndrome" noise effects - screeching noises like a bird being strangled slowly to death. I felt it was over-used on too many live tracks, and to me, blurred or diluted Zep's great musical definition between their songs way too much.

Plant's new tracks with Cross sound very cool - much more relaxed and very musical.

There's so many - early Elton...huge musical variety and fabulous voicing. I saw him this year with Billy Joel and Elton was exceptionally good, even singing Joels' (they traded off back and forth) numbers solo.
more...colin blunstone(who's your daddy?)...steve winwood (peaked in his teens)...billy stewart(if general johnson was jesus, billy was john the baptist)....russell tompkins jr (makes smokey robinson sound like a baritone)...sandi shaw/lulu(underrated always)....lou rawls(too much!)....teddy pendergrass('even the president said he's givin' it up)....paul jones(doo wah diddy-amazing career)....that guy in the statler bros who sings bass(like to see a showdown between him and the guy from the oakridge boys).....david ruffin(tragic soul but maybe the greatest of all/walk away from love)....ronnie dyson( a singer's singer)....annie golden and cathie chamberlain(new york's finest)....just calling out those who should not be missed if you love music.
Jaybo,

How about Fred Johnnson (bass) and Cornelius Harp (lead) of The Marcels? Spin "Blue Moon" sometime. If it's been a while, you'll be surprised.

Marty
yep...the marcels wrote the book..and johnson was one of the great bass-men.