Loudness War

Having spent much time attempting to moderate my audio system to accommodate excessively loud remasters and new release albums, I have given up. Inline attenuators, tube rolling, etc etc, no method seems to stop effect of ridiculous mastering levels these days.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to some software or other means by which albums can have their dynamic range altered to a standard suitable for a good audio system?
bleoberis
Jaybo, I agree it is often a narrow perception of what is good or perfect that is the villain in regards to enjoying music. Music is an art not a science. Audio is more science/enjineering. Audiophiles that engage both sides of their brains more often are the happiest ones IMHO.

No doubt when it (compression) is done, it is due to focused target market + playback equipment not capable of delivering the goods with full dynamic range. Some music relies on just being able to be played loud all the time in order to deliver.

The flip side is that some of the best dynamic range I've heard in recordings comes from certain newer CDs that are in fact mastered very well and sound like a newly polished shiny red Porsche compared to older titles by the same artists.

Has anyone heard the new Essential Michael jackson CD package? Tell me the dynamics are compressed on that!
Essential Michael jackson CD package?

Yes the Quincy Jones (Thriller) productions were already fantastic to start with. Ndugu is an amazing drummer. Quincy Jones is a superb producer.

Why can't the recording industry learn from the most succesful album of all time - Thriller - recording & production quality counts!!
"Why can't the recording industry learn from the most succesful album of all time - Thriller - recording & production quality counts!!"

Good question.

I suspect some in the industry do and some do not and many execs have not been able to put two + two together yet that most people do value quality, albeit to different levels. Audiophiles are the extreme fringe unfortunately, so I doubt the music industry will ever systematically cater to the audio kooks standards.

Unfortunately, cost management is a big thing for businesses today. Guys with a track record who do things well, like Quincy and Michael, tend to be expensive (excessively so often) compared to the average Joe and profits have to be assured. Education and new talent in an industry is the best hope for both quality and cost containment.
Shadorne, is Thriller (original lp) regarded as a model of excellent production and mastering? my lp copy of Thriller has much more sibilance than the majority of my other records, irritating to listen to, not that it couldn't be caused by other things.