When will rap music be less mainstream?

First time I heard MC Hammer’s song many years ago, I like the rhythm and thought it is quite unique. After that, all kinds of rap music pop up. I never thought rap music would be mainstream for such a long time in US. If you look at the music award ceremonies, you will find it being flooded with rap music. Sometimes I am not even sure rap can be considered as song because you don’t sing but speak. Now you start to hear rap music in some other languages like Chinese, Japanese and Korean that don’t sound good in rap format. It would be interesting to hear rap music in Italian.

Time will tell if a song is good or not. A song is good if somebody want to play it for their loved ones on the radio 20 years later. I can’t imagine someone will play a rap for their beloved one 20 years later. Just curious if any A’gon member keep any rap collection?

Besides rap, I also have a feeling that the music industry in general is getting cheesy now. American Idol show gets huge attention while lots of singers perform at the bar or hotel can easily sing better than the idols. The show also asked Barbara Streisand if she watched the show and who was her favorite idol. What do you expect her to answer? People said Justin Timberlake is very talented singer/songwriter. I know him because I saw lots of headshot of him on commercials and magazines, but can you name any popular/well known song from him?
yxlei
TT: welcome back. Zack is great. Worked with him in 2008. Really humble guy who is all about his fans. Holds a daily BBQ and grills up like 150 steaks.

PS: big B-Day bash this weekend in SF for DJ Donovan. 12 stars. Should be fun.
I threw country out since the thread had thrashed around hip-hop & rap quite a lot. I am finding respect for excellence in musicianship, writing, arranging, and vocal performance in all genres as I grow older and less willing to move from my chair.

My trouble is the traditional view of "music" that I hold prevents me from recognizing those things in most rap and hip-hop music that is thrust upon me at redlights.

Take your shots but note I said the problem lies with me.
You can find magic in almost any music genre. This year, I have been listening to two African acts from the country of Mali which are heavily rooted in rootsy blues guitar. The albums are by a blind couple, Amadou & Mariam, and a wonderful group called Tinariwen. You can see the direct relationship from Africa to the US Bluses tradition. I don't speak their native tongue but the music has real power and emotion. In the end, this should be the attraction of music.

America has produced five American music forms that are unique to these shores, Hawaiian, jazz, blue grass/country, gospel/Soul and hip-hop. All were "outsider" music and all have their succinct charms.

I love many of the newer alt country artists. These Americana groups include Calexico, Dave Alvin, the Felice Brothers,Hill Country Revue, Jenny Lewis, Lambchop, Lucinda Williams, Maria Taylor, Neko Case, Okkervil River, Shelby Lynne, Steve Earle and Wilco. Really nice recordings from an audiophile perspective.
Bongofury

Your breadth of musical knowledge never ceases to astound me!

Just checked out Zack Brown on Wiki and see they have 3 Grammy awards pending and are the first band to go to number one in the country charts with a debut since Heartland did in 2006. Seems like a good guy alright with his charity work too. Zack's eleven brothers and sisters must be proud.
01-27-10: Thomastrouble
Zack's eleven brothers and sisters
Eeks, sounds like Pops needed to throw a Jimmyhat on his unit occasionally.