Classical Music: A How-To Guide for Beginners

This will be an ongoing thread to recommend great recordings and great performances of classical music. It seems that many audiophiles have a couple pieces of classical music, but have not fully delved into the genre. This is unfortunate, because there are literally thousands of treasures to be experienced. Classical music encompasses all aspects of human emotions, and there are is something out there for everyone. People may feel intimidated by all the choices. Exploring different pieces becomes enjoyable once you have a foothold. I hope to provide that foothold for people who wish to initiate a collection of masterpieces.

A couple of references are worth mentioning. First, www.classicstoday.com is an excellent source of highly opinionated reviews. Although some may disagree with some of the reviews, there are too many sites that think everything is wonderful. For a subscription magazine, Fanfare has a broad overview of many recordings from different genres. Good sources of CDs would include Amazon (new and used), Barnes and Noble (particularly sets with a 20% off coupon), Tower Records for certain sales, and www.mdt.co.uk for imports. Yourmusic.com is an online club with good prices.

My plan is to offer recommendations as I traverse my own collection, explaining the rationale for the choices. I hope that people will go and buy some of these, and listen to the aspects I mention. I hope that this is a fun adventure, and that others will come to appreciate the beauty of the classics. I feel lucky that this music has enriched my life, and I am always happy to share in some knowledge and experience. The software is inexpensive, so perhaps people would appreciate that chance to explore new music rather than fret about the latest power cord.
rtn1
Beethoven. The Nine Symphonies. Barenboim. Berliner Staatskapelle. Teldec.

There are dozens of Beethoven symphony cycles. Some offer chamber orchestras, period instruments, or some variation in the latest and most authentic edition of the scores. However, this is the one that keeps me coming back.

The Berliner Staatskapelle play immaculately. They have real character and warmth. Barenboim could have recorded this cycle with any orchestra of his choosing, and this decision was brilliant.

This Beethoven is full-blooded, big, and bold. Barenboim infuses an incredible sense of energy and momentum throughout all 9 pieces. There is nothing boring or slack, not even for a moment. This cycle has no weak spots, either. I could pick any disc from this set and be instantly enthralled.

Barenboim has adopted many markings of Wilhelm Furtwangler, a famous German conductor known for spontaneity, excitement, and an overarching sense of purpose throughout each movement. While Furtwangler was occasionally erratic, sometimes histrionic, and often dimly recorded, Barenboim puts a steady hand to these polished performances.

The sonics are among the best. The strings have mass, the brass ring-out, and the soundstage is huge. The orchestra plays in a warm, burnished tone, yet with immense clarity.

Beethoven is an amazing composer, and heralded the start of the Romantic era with Symphony #3. I am always struck by the sense of energy, the deceptive simplicity or many of his passages, and the fact that he gets better and better the more you listen. This is a set that sounds great the first time, and sounds even better the 10th or 25th time you listen.
Here are a couple that I hold dear:

1) Tchaikovsky + Glazunov violin concertos with Max Vengerov and the Berliner Philharmonkier
2) Beethoven Triple Concerto + Brahms Double Concerto with Rostropovich, Richter, Oistrakh
3) Dvorák: The Symphonies with Istvan Kertesz + LSO
4) Vengerov Plays Bach, Shchedrin, Ysaye

Michael
Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto. Vengerov. Abbado. Berliner Philharmoniker. Teldec.

Beethoven Triple Concerto. Brahms Double Concerto. Richter. Oistrakh, Rostropovich. Szell. Cleveland Orchestra. EMI.

Michael, I am going to totally agree that these two are must-haves.

Vengerov is arguably the best living violinist. He has a masculine, confident, and energetic technique that makes the Stradiverius soar. If I want someone to hear how good my stereo sounds, the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto is what I play. This piece is amazing from start to finish. Even Abbado, who I find boring and mannered, seems to be inspired. Abbado whips-up the Berliners to have that sense of communication between soloist and orchestra. This piece is accessible from the first listen, and continues to impress with repeated listening. The engineering on this recording is perfect.

The Brahms Double Concerto features some of the best talent put on stage, PLUS they deliver. Szell's Cleveland Orchestra was widely regarded to be world class and perhaps the best in the US. Szell launches into the Brahms with his charactaristic incisiveness, getting full committment from the orchestra. The soloists throw themselves into the music as well, with an inspired sense of communication between all players. Karajan actually does a good job as well. The recording is very good, with a little hiss, but a very warm 'analog' sound.