Fleetwood Mac

Best band ever?

Anyway, I've been listening to self title, Rumors, and Tusk repeatedly the past 2 years. Can anyone recommend the next step in Fleetwood fandom? I'm not a huge fan of live albums, but will venture in that direction if absolutely necessary, ie Johnny Cash.
buffheman
Terrific albums until Nicks/Buckingham arrival and the 1975 "Fleetwood Mac" album.

At that point they morphed into a top 40 bubble gum band.

Sara..........
I'll nominate the Buckingham/Nicks version of Fleetwood Mac as as a finalist for Best Rock Band Ever. The original Mac was a very good, though maddeningly inconsistent blues rock band that had some truly great moments. And many more not-so-great moments.

Just MHO, (and I know I'm in the minority here, so save the invective) but LB writes pop/rock tunes (though not lyrics) as well as anyone - including Brian Wilson or Lennon and Macca. The vocal harmonies are often masterful and the production values rival just about anyone's. "Go Your Own Way" is, again, JMO, at the top of the list of classic r'n'r songs and there are TONS of others that are right up there.

Buckingham is also in my list of top 5 guitarists and -for my money- that separates his stuff from any of the other top tier songwriters (Richard Thompson excepted, but that's a different kind of songwriter).

BTW, Peter Green, as fine a player as he is/was, and despite his interesting hardware and the resultant interesting tone, cannot touch LB in my book. Take a listen to "I'm So Afraid" or "Come" to get a taste of Buckingham's electric style or "Big Love" (as great a display of right hand rhythmic ability as I've ever heard from a pop player) for his acoustic fingerpicking.

OTOH, you do have to wade through Stevie Nicks' and Christine McVie's contributions which are ....ahem...often less compelling.

To answer the OP's question - all of the LB solo albums are interesting. IMHO "Cradle" tops the list, followed by "Under The Skin" (although that one is not for every taste) and the most recent "Gift of Screws".

FM's "Tango" is a very good record, but "Say You Will" features LB at his absolute best. Great songs and just scorching guitar.

I know that most everyone here disagrees with the high esteem in which I hold this band, but that is my opinion, and it comes from someone who has spent WAY too much time thinking about this stuff. That fact doesn't make the opinion right, just carefully considered.

FWIW.

Marty
I acquired my appreciation for Lindsey Buckingham's talent and key role in later FM when I first saw their live "The Dance" concert performance on DVD. He is a true musical dynamo on guitar!

FM has always been a very up and down band to me. Fantastic one moment, disappointing the next. They've always been that way as best I can tell. I have their 4 disc box set which is a nice but imperfect sampling. Even there, the ups are way up but there are a few tunes I find myself skipping through.
One more note:

Buckingham's "Live at Bass Performance Hall" is an outright spectaculat CD/DVD set and Fleetwood Mac's "Live in Boston" (also CD/DVD) is just a notch behind it.

Marty