Great songs and artists who virtually own them?

In professional sports, when a player does such honor to his number that nobody else can live up to the legacy, that number is frequently retired. My question is simple: Are their artists that performed a great song so right, that nobody else can touch it and do justice to it? e.g., Etta James - "At last"; Billy Holiday (Sorry Frank) - "One more for my baby". IMO
phaelon
Very funny Audiophile, I should have elaborated. What I had in mind, when I initiated this thread, was more of an exploration of the standards which are performed by more than one mainstream artist, not so much the singles which are, and probably always will be, performed by one artist". Examples of standards might include: "Mack the Knife", "Send in the Clowns", "Green Dolphin Street", "I Remember You". You know, the classics that everyone seems to want to take a crack at but that only one artist, in your opinion, nailed.
Ncarv, I do get the point, but there are many songs that aren't "no brainers". For instance, some people prefer Jose Feliciano's version of "Light My Fire" to the Doors.
More picks....

"Subterranean Homesick Blues" by Bob Dylan
"Exit Music (For A Film)" by Radiohead
"Waiting For A Miracle" by Leonard Cohen
"West End Blues" by Louis Armstrong and the Hot Five (or Seven)
"Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sinead O'Connor
"Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes
"Death Letter" by Son House
"Dust My Broom" by Robert Johnson
Rush Powned this Epic - even thirty years on I have never seen three people make so much music - sounds like an orchestral work. Today people use triggers and sequencers to do all that - these guys made all the sound.