Live vs. recorded

I'm wondering if others of you have a strong preference between live tracks or studio recorded versions. Obviously the quality of the recording plays a role. But for me, I would rather listen to a mediocre recording of a a live track than a higher quality studio track.
tmhouse0313
It seems to me that studio recordings often suffer from being over-produced. On the other hand, live recordings often suffer from being under-produced. In light of that, my personal preference is for a studio recording that could be mistaken for a live recording or a live recording that could be mistaken for a studio recording.

IMO, live recordings sound best when they emulate studio recordings, i.e., when they pay attention to microphone placement, track cleanliness, and mixing precision. Conversely, studio recordings sound best when they emulate live recordings, i.e., when they pay attention to acoustical setting, performer interaction, and a feeling of improvisation.

The best live recordings give you the feeling that the musical event you are hearing is happening now, and will never happen again. The best studio recordings give you the feeling that you have the perfect seat for the musical event. To have both feelings at the same time is a special experience. Hence, I like studio recordings that sound live or live recordings that sound “studio.”

Bryon
I have really enjoyed reading this thread. For me, I find an emotional connection to live music that I don't always feel from studio recorded tracks, even very well recorded ones.

Oddly, many of the artists who are well known for the quality of their studio works are the ones I enjoy listening to live the most. Diana Krall, Ella, the Eagles, Springsteen, Niel Young, Lindsy Buckingham, Muddy Waters among others. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the studio versions these artist produce and listen to them often but, if given a choice I would listen to Niel Young sing "Helpless" on "The Last Waltz" vs "Deja Vu."
I have really enjoyed reading this thread. For me, I find an emotional connection to live music that I don't always feel from studio recorded tracks, even very well recorded ones.

Oddly, many of the artists who are well known for the quality of their studio works are the ones I enjoy listening to live the most. Diana Krall, Ella, the Eagles, Springsteen, Niel Young, among others. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the studio versions these artist produce and listen to them often but, bottom line, I get a stronger emotional reaction when listening to Niel Young sing "Helpless" on "The Last Waltz" vs the sound I hear on "Deja Vu."
I almost always prefer studio recordings. To me, they're a more accurate representation of the artists intent; and to my tastes, they sound better. On the occasions that I do like live recordings, it's usually because the recording was able to capture a special vibrancy in the performance that I attribute to a bonding with the audience.
Shadorne said "I suspect that many pop/rock bands simply cannot deliver the carefully crafted, dubbed and over-dubbed polished performances that you get on their overproduced studio productions. I also suspect there is some essence that is lost when stuff is overdubbed or people play in separate sound booths. Perhaps it is only me - but I hear something better when people are actually playing live....I am not sure why but something different occurs when people play live together - either it is in the acoustics or the way musicians play off each other - little mistakes perhaps - is this is why Sheffield Direct to Disc were so good?"

I say that you are absolutely correct sir, and much more so than you realize!