Best CD I've heard so far 2011.........

Sarah Jarosz/Song Up In Her Head
Like a breath of fresh air, just great!
128x128rja
Richard

Given your tastes in music, I suspect you are UK based? Correct?

I operate a variety of touring properties here in America and two clubs in SF and LA. I am always on the outlook for new talent before it breaks. We have a long history of showcasing artists who have gone on to become mainstream and music legends over 30 years. We have booked over 7,000 bands.

I really love the new music coming out of Manchester, North London and South London areas, especially artists like Burial and Laura Marling. These artists you highlighted are not on my radar. How did you come to them?

As for rap, I have already been flamed on this forum. My 30 year old daughter is a huge fan and I love her daily Youtube postings. I love the old school artists, especially Tribe Called Quest, which effortlessly merged jazz with hip hop.
Mike 60

Thanks. That means a lot. I also love the 6 CD acoustic box set by Paul Kelly called the A-Z Recordings. Amazingly recorded--just a voice and guitar. Hard to find, as it was issued only in Australia.

Dave Alvin has several great albums. I love West of the West, which was a collection of California-inspired songs by key Cali-based singer/song writers. Probably the best intro, but like heroin, you will keep coming back for more. :)
Bongo...much closer to the University of Kentucky than United Kingdom! I'm in Ohio. I pretty much spent the 70's and lord knows how long wasted digging through record bins looking for interesting music. It's just always been a passion and now I'm a grown as man with the same passion. Times have changed quite a bit and the internet has become the record bins to dig through. Instead of hanging out all weekend in record stores I jump on line after the wife goes to bed and listen away. There are endless amounts of blogs and music sites for every genre. Lately, I've really connected with the whole UK bass music stuff but that also has led me to German/Eastern European minimal and on and on. I still enjoy folk, americana and that whole thing but love me some variety.

That whole UK electronic scene is fascinating. It's really crossed over and now there is dubstep in a lot of the pop music being made in the US. Radiohead has been doing it longer than most mainstream artists and Thom Yorke is pretty much as much a part of UK bass music as he is indie rock. If you like Burial, he did some remixes and EP's with Thom Yorke as did a bunch of other guys from that scene. I think there is 8 or 9 EP's. Some from the last Radiohead record and some from Yorke's solo thing. There is also a single, Ego/Mirror, that's Burial/Thom Yorke/Four Tet on Hyperdub.

Gotta run but I could go on and on....
Richard

I saw his warm up dates with Atoms for Peace, his effort to peform his solo material live. Incredible. Flea from the PHCP plays bass. I heard they laid down some new tracks.
Bongo,

What's your LA club called?

I'm in Calabasas and always looking for interesting opportunities to see live performances. Our local club tends to be more nostalgia driven (good thing I like a lot of the old timers, too). I also get to McCabe's a few times a year to see quirkier artists - but they are often older, as well. Sounds like your approach is a bit different and might be worth checking out.

Anything to expand horizons is a good thing, AFAIC.

Marty