Which High Res releases are worth buying?

A number of A'goners have said they'd like to start a running database of releases that are worth buying. We've all discovered High Res downloads and discs that don't even live up to Redbook standards. Others are a definite improvement. Here's your chance to weigh in on the winners as well as the dogs. Inevitably, you may post a recommendation others may disagree with. Debate is good, but let's keep it clean and courteous. If we do, this could provide everyone with a great resource.
vhiner
07-21-11: Levy03
great stuff Ben!. thanks for helping me part with $110 on hd tracks last night lol!

It's easy to do isn't it...!!?

In response to the OP's question, my suggestions are based primarily on the sound quality. I hope the style of music is to your liking.

If you like acoustic jazz (piano trios), then here is another nugget. It’s only 24/88, but it sounds good.

_Ben
Wow…two new additions to HDTracks…And what additions they are!! here and here

Someone please tell me if these are the “real deal” (good hi-re mastering)…
Ben,

I hope this thread will serve everyone, regardless of respective musical preferences, so my personal musical tastes are unimportant. What I *do* hope is that people will compare reissued recordings with the original Redbook before recommending the High Res version. The High Res version should be audibly better. If it isn't, I think we'd all be better off supporting new artists as opposed to supporting reissues that represent no improvement.

That said, I have no Redbook versions of the recordings posted so far but trust that most people buy reissues of recordings they've at least heard before and that their recommendations are based upon at least a comparison by memory. If *you* think it sounds "better" than how you've heard the recording sound before, then some improvement has probably been accomplished by those who produced the High Res reissue.

Posts like yours are extremely helpful, so please keep passing along your discoveries!
I recently compared the 44.1 CD of Beck's "Sea Change" to Mobile Fidelity's 44.1 remaster. The original recording sounded great so I was not prepared for the DRAMATIC difference in the Mobile Fidelity reissue. The recording's soundstage, bass response and midrange have all been unveiled due to the remastering work of those involved in the project. The biggest reason for the improvement is that no compression was used. This reissue justifies a $25 purchase. I want to hear the same level of improvement when I spend that much money for a High Res recording I can otherwise buy for $9 on Amazon. HdTracks is offering a 24/88 download of this title. If anyone's compared it to the MoFi version I'd love to hear what you think.
Alas, I can’t give a hearty thumbs-up to the recent HDTracks hi-res release of The Doobie Brothers, “Captain and Me.” I nearly forgot what a great recoding this is. Unfortunately, while the dynamics are there, the detail and clarity are there in abundance, there simply is no semblance of the warmth, dimensionality and air that the original vinyl version offered.

While analog/vinyl comparisons may be a high standard of reference for digital, some hi-res releases have come close to duplicating air, warmth, three-dimensionality and sound-staging (Blue Coast Records recordings come to mind).

I will be anxious to hear from someone else who has downloaded this otherwise excellent (album).