The Evolution of Modern Jazz

Shadorne's thread "Outstanding Examples of Musicianship" inspired me to begin this thread. While Shadorne stated that all genre's were welcome, I felt that me and another jazz aficionado were beginning to dominate that thread. Shadorne is a "Rocker", bless his heart. This community functions best when like minded people engage in common dialogue.

The title explains this thread. We will use "youtube" the same as in Shardone's thread to illustrate our examples, and now I begin.

In the beginning, there was Charlie "Bird" Parker, and he said "Let there Be Bop" and thus it began. While walking down the street, Bird ran into John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie, who had similar ideas, so they "Bopped" down the street together; Bird on alto sax and Diz on trumpet. My first illustration of this new music is "Bloomdido" with Bird and Diz. We should cover "Be Bop" in depth before we go to the next phase of this evolution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MCGweQ8Oso&NR=1
orpheus10

Edorr, I have 5 CD's by Rabih Abou Khalil, and all the covers are as beautiful as the music. "The Astounding Eyes of Rita"is the only CD I have by Anuoar Brahem. I keep looking for a word or words to describe the photograph of "Rita", but can't quite get there. Maybe Albertporter can help, since he's a photographer.
Frogman, thanks for the heads up on the bandoneon. I thought "bandoneon" was a South American name for the accordion, now I know they are two entirely different instruments. I have Al Di Meola plays Piazolla, now I'll get "Piazolla".
Gentlemen, this thread started as an exploration of the evolution of Jazz" and has now digressed into Piazolla territory (beautiful music to be sure but not "jazz").

Not to worry - the synthesis of latin accordeon and pure Jazz is there for everyone to discover. The artist is Richard Galliano and the music is pure joy. Try his album "Laurita" and hear what I am talking about. On this album, he actually plays a composition by Hermeto Pascoal, the Brazilian free jazz man, as well as Piazolla's "Libertango", but mostly his own compositions.

Once you get a taste for this, try "Blow up" a duet with Michel Portal on clarinet/alto sax. Sheer delight.
I read through the thread and found someone mention Hossam Ramzy. He actually particiapted in a Robert Plant, Jimmy Page reunion concert, with oriental arrangement of Zeppeling classics, recorder in Marrakesh, Marroco. The DVD is called "unledded", and it is an absolute gem. The rendition of "four sticks" is priceless. Unfortuntaly the content is blocked on youtube.
I also recommend "Heart of the Immigrants" by Al Di Meola.
Excellent if somewhat sad world, forgive me, world jazz music. Digital only, no LP. But the sound quality is very good. Get Japanese cd if you can find it.