The Evolution of Modern Jazz

Shadorne's thread "Outstanding Examples of Musicianship" inspired me to begin this thread. While Shadorne stated that all genre's were welcome, I felt that me and another jazz aficionado were beginning to dominate that thread. Shadorne is a "Rocker", bless his heart. This community functions best when like minded people engage in common dialogue.

The title explains this thread. We will use "youtube" the same as in Shardone's thread to illustrate our examples, and now I begin.

In the beginning, there was Charlie "Bird" Parker, and he said "Let there Be Bop" and thus it began. While walking down the street, Bird ran into John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie, who had similar ideas, so they "Bopped" down the street together; Bird on alto sax and Diz on trumpet. My first illustration of this new music is "Bloomdido" with Bird and Diz. We should cover "Be Bop" in depth before we go to the next phase of this evolution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MCGweQ8Oso&NR=1
orpheus10

"Karuna Supreme" is the best example of "World Jazz" in my collection. John Handy was born with an alto sax, playing jazz, while Ali Akbar Kahn was born playing classical Indian music on the sarod. I can not fathom a wider gulf between two musicians, and yet; these two play together like long lost friends.

They blend so well, that it's difficult to tell where classical Indian music stops and jazz begins. Ali Akbar Kahn sounds like jazz on the sarod, while John sounds like classical Indian on the alto. He gets into the Indian thing like he was born in Calcutta, and Ali Akbar Kahn gets into jazz like he was raised on the other side of 125th in New York. Although this is relatively long, it's so beautiful, that it seems to end too soon.

"Karuna Supreme"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hK6_bOerWo
That "Turkish jazz" she was doing it to is quite good too.
But let's not compare a dancing woman with a worm, just doesn't sound appealing or fare.
Rachel distracted me. Now that you mention it, after looking and listening; the "Turkish jazz" is nice.