The Evolution of Modern Jazz

Shadorne's thread "Outstanding Examples of Musicianship" inspired me to begin this thread. While Shadorne stated that all genre's were welcome, I felt that me and another jazz aficionado were beginning to dominate that thread. Shadorne is a "Rocker", bless his heart. This community functions best when like minded people engage in common dialogue.

The title explains this thread. We will use "youtube" the same as in Shardone's thread to illustrate our examples, and now I begin.

In the beginning, there was Charlie "Bird" Parker, and he said "Let there Be Bop" and thus it began. While walking down the street, Bird ran into John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie, who had similar ideas, so they "Bopped" down the street together; Bird on alto sax and Diz on trumpet. My first illustration of this new music is "Bloomdido" with Bird and Diz. We should cover "Be Bop" in depth before we go to the next phase of this evolution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MCGweQ8Oso&NR=1
orpheus10
Strictly speaking "the evolution of modern Jazz" should lead to a discussion about "avant-garde jazz. However, we are in fact talking about the influence (or synthesis) of "Jazz" on "world-music" (i.e. "world-jazz")

You could also discuss Jazz influence on classical music (e.g. Ravel, Strawinski, Gershwin), all sorts of "Jazz" renditions of classical compositions (mostly Bach). Then there is of course "Fusion". Certain rock jambands have a distinct Jazz influence (try Dave Matthews band life), and of course guys like Sting using Jazz saxophone.

In summary, Jazz is so pervasive, this thread could have gone anywhere. I personally find the "world-jazz" the most intersting, because this is closest to my musical interest.
It is possible for a genre of music to 'progress' to the point where it has absolutely nothing in common with the original source. I put 'avant-garde' and 'free' jazz in this category. I got off the train after 'A Love Supreme.'
In regard to "avant-garde" and free jazz, can you say NOISE. Meanwhile, back at the ranch; I came across some unusual gems. The first one is "Arab Jazz Jam", the second one is "Basem Darwish Egyptian Jazz spirits"; these are some intense musicians who illustrate the best of "World Jazz".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZebxd-G3o8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAX43gYkY-w
Wow, I just now saw this thread - it was started in August when I was temporarily without internet, I see. Great thread, guys, there are several things here I will have to check out. Someone mentioned Jean Luc Ponty earlier - I went to school with his two beautiful daughters for a year. Clara Ponty is a very talented pianist who has made a couple of albums, though her stuff is more New Age rather than jazz. She has performed many times with her father as well. Don't know if any of it is on youtube or not, and I'm too tired to look right now.

Of course the major influence on Jean Luc Ponty was Stephane Grappelli, don't think he was mentioned earlier in this thread - certainly the greatest jazz violinist.