Toughest hombre west of the Pecos?

John Wayne or Clint Eastwood?
Also your preference:
Solid State or Tubes?
Wondering if there is a correlation.
phaelon
I am sorry but Charles Bronson in 'Once Upon a Time in the West' was the man, fearless!

Tubes - an don't look at me that way :)
Joe don Baker was the coolest of em all,i once saw a movie with him it it called (Charley Varrick) where in a scene he slapped his female co star in the mouth for back sassin him then had her fetch him a beer,minutes later they were off to the bedroom for some fun.

the duke or clint could never top that scene.

dont forget about the 1st walking tall.
John Wayne & tubes. Wayne walked with a swagger, and always looked like he was in charge, and would kick your ass if you gave him any crap. Eastwood was more of a silent loner type, that would have to take some crap, or a beating, but would always come out on top!

Some newer Westerns that I enjoy:
1) Silverado
2) The Quick & The Dead
3) Quigley Down Under
4) Tombstone
5) Bite The Bullet

Some other great actors have been mentioned but let's not forget that gentle giant, Dan Blocker [Hoss on Bonanza]. Just don't get him mad, or he turned into the old West's version of the Incredible Hulk!

An interesting footnote: all of Dan Blocker's children studied Karate under Chuck Norris!
These responses are great, and more varied than I anticipated. As long as were at it, how about sharing our favorite western/tough guy movies.

How about the Duke as Ethan Edwards in "The Searchers". Remember his line to Jeff Hunter "I could whup you to a frazzle". If you put Eastwood on Hunters horse that line still works.

Fatparrot-
Very interesting, and good safety tip everyone: Don't mess with Blocker's kids.