WAF - Wife Acceptance Factor

Much has been written in these threads about the dreaded WAF, or wife acceptance factor. It usually entails making a compromise, or not getting that perfect speaker, or amp, or ... Well you get the picture.

But tell the truth guys. Haven't there been times when wifey actually helped?

In my case, I casually mentioned to my wife that the picture quality of my front projector would be much improved if I could better cotrol the light in the den. So what did she do?

She put up nice thick curtains. It not only blocks the light and makes the den like a cave, it also improves the diffuse surround sound field with the absorptive material. What a gal!

Would love to hear your stories. :o)
kinsekd
I told my wife I was considering a Meridian 861 v4 for the main system.... her comment to me was "Will you hear a difference?" to which I said I think so, so she told me I should buy it!

I actually am very lucky, my wife lets me do anything I want to the stereo so WAF isn't really an issue to me!
I too hear horror stories about fights over audio equipment. Sometimes its the money, which can be substantial, other times its the aesthetics. In my case my wife doesn't bother with my main room in the basement which has large speakers and lots of cables, and she can decorate the rest of the house as she sees fit. In a small library, I compromised and put VR-1s in the built-in open bookshelves and the components in another part of the bookshelves. Far from ideal, but the sound is still great, the wood of the VR-1s matches the wood of the shelves, so everybody is happy. I suspect that any arguments about audio or WAF are symptoms of larger problems. This passion is an easy target if there are other marital issues. (I also think I just wore my wife down and she decided to pick her battles more selectively!!)
If I go and buy some equipment.. she just goes to Vickie's or Fredericks and buys more lingerie' to wear when she does her pole dancing in our bedroom!
That aside... she's helping our tremendously in my studio build. She actually did all the rock wool insulation without breaking a nail!!

Regards,
Bruce
Very few talk about CAF, cat acceptance factor. My cat rather likes to scratch the front of my speakers and sleep on the mono amps, which rest on the floor. So far, he is less willing to compromise than your wife and completely unwilling to help. Do you think that I should rate the speakers a "9" when I sell them?
Viridian: hmmmmm, cat scratched, cat hair laden speakers? As a buyer, I'd have to rate them a "Nein."