Five "Golden Rules" of HiFi?

Tough question, but if you had to list your 5 most important "Golden Rules" of hifi, from your own experiences, what would they be?
To start things off, mine would be:

1. Protect your hearing; without it, the rest is pointless.
2. Use a surge/overvoltage protection power board
3. Read lots of reviews and forums like this one
4. Don't buy secondhand speakers (bad experience!)
5. Never buy gear without listening to your own music through it.
carl109
Schipo, that's why I started the thread as "from your own experiences". I'm sure many have had success with secondhand speakers, but I had one rather costly exercise early on where I bought used speakers (good brand) that I later found out had been tampered with internally (crossovers).
This led to them failing completely after just a few days, and the seller had vanished. They'd sounded fine when I listened prior to buying, although I was in my early stages of learning anout hifi kit then.
1. Don't go crazy money, research or otherwise

2. Go outside when its nice.

3. Invite friends over to enjoy

4. Aesthetically pleasing is important

5. Try to have as few wires as possible
1. Buy a house first. It doesn't matter how good your equipment if you can turn it up to a realistic level.

2. Don't assume that "more costly, more better". So many people think this way that equipment makers are FORCED to inflate their prices to maintain the "better" image or lose market share. If you can't trust your ears, take up golf instead.

3. Don't buy new if you can get it used (typically at a 40-50% discount).

4. Listen to the piece in your system if at all possible. I've purchased after reading a great review and am usually satisfied but it only makes sense to try first.

5. Buy a house first.
I'll remember that in my three quarters of a million median market Dweller. Very helpful. Have you heard of earphones?
I have purchased much if not all my gear on Audiogon and with not a hitch at all. I will always love this site and continue to make future purchases from Audiogon. Also would recommend to all when shipping any gear especially when you do not have the original box. Please make sure you tape as much carboard as possible wrapping it aroung the edges of the equiptment that is to be shipped this will insure a much safer arrival.