Five "Golden Rules" of HiFi?

Tough question, but if you had to list your 5 most important "Golden Rules" of hifi, from your own experiences, what would they be?
To start things off, mine would be:

1. Protect your hearing; without it, the rest is pointless.
2. Use a surge/overvoltage protection power board
3. Read lots of reviews and forums like this one
4. Don't buy secondhand speakers (bad experience!)
5. Never buy gear without listening to your own music through it.
carl109
I have purchased much if not all my gear on Audiogon and with not a hitch at all. I will always love this site and continue to make future purchases from Audiogon. Also would recommend to all when shipping any gear especially when you do not have the original box. Please make sure you tape as much carboard as possible wrapping it aroung the edges of the equiptment that is to be shipped this will insure a much safer arrival.
Biomimetic: Heard of 'em, don't care for 'em.
What is the "three quarters of a million median market" business? Someone have self-esteem problems?
1. Trust only your own ears; ignore what other people say, and what scientific claims and/or reasoning is used. Mostly other people only mean well, but the only person having your ears is you. We all experience things differently, and we like different things as well. Besides, what does it matter if science can prove that a certain product is great, if I don't like it? Happens to me all the time.

2. Realize that there is no "best" component and there never will be, much the same as there are no "neutral" components. Might as well strike those two words from your hifi vocabulary!

3. Look at the entire system as an integrated whole, including cables, equipment support, power conditioning, room treatments and so on, and don't get caught up chasing isolated components. Hardware is indeed important, but peripherals even more so. Synergy is everything, and one piece of equipment is only as good as it is in your home, in your particular setup.

4. Make sure you listen to the music you like. There's no point in demoing gear with "hifi records" - most gear sounds fine with these. The real challenge is, will it play your favorite records, and will it play them to your liking? Most high end gear won't like less-than-perfect recordings, but they do exist!

5. Ignore all scientific babble and simply listen. And listen to the music, not the equipment.
1. Experiment at your leisure - try new things and enjoy them while you do.

2. For quite a while, you can look for moments of epiphany - times when you try something and it is just clearly significantly better than before. That's when you should spend your money. If you're having to strain, or listen for days to decide, you should move on.

3. As you system gets better, improvement will be more subtle, but it will still be very clear to you that it's an improvement. Don't "upgrade" because it should be better, upgrade because it is clearly better.

4. Be very clear in your mind that this is a hobby. Like other hobbies that we get avid about, it's too easy to get too serious. Keep it fun.

5. When reading any magazines or online forums, keep all of the above in mind, and don't read if you can't. In their best form, they will educate and inspire experimentation and open-mindedness. In their worst form, they will inspire dissatisfaction and envy.