Best Recording of Music

What is the best recording of music have you heard on CD, Vinyl? Not Best Music but music that has been recorded for the ultimate in playback and listening. Jazz, classical, pop, rock, etc.

Right now I am listening to the re-mastered box set, Citizen, by Steely Dan and I would have to put that at the top of my list. These guys were genius' in the care they took in how an album was recored imho.
bostonbean
I'm not going to name a best, but it was interesting for me to see Eden Atwood mentioned. Her version of "Blame It On My Youth" on her 45rpm Groove Note vinyl LP "The Ballad Session" is one of my favorite demonstration pieces. It starts a cappela and then the bass joins and finally Tom Harrell on flugel. Her voice is perfect for that song, the bass is incredibly well recorded and Harrell's flugel is so soft an lifelike (I play trumpet and flugel) that it gives me chills. The surfaces are dead-silent and this is a perfectly preserved musical event.

I can't put it up there with Ella's best recordings, like "Take Love Easy" with Joe Pass on guitar, but it IS a wonderful recording. Hmm, why haven't I bought the rest of Eden's discography??? Gotta get busy...

Dave
chadlniz
Alright, you got me, poor use of English and poor description. I should say a recorded base line which can be reproduced successfully on a good system. I should say that Waterfalls is one of the most startling recordings I have heard. The other is the legendary Dali Demo CD, particularly Hugh Masekela's " Coal Train". Anyone unmoved by the anger in that, has'nt a soul
Colin Walcott "Cloud Dance" on ECM is a recording masterpiece, give or take the music. I think that in it's own way Louis Armstrong's Hot 5's and 7's 78's in mono from the late 20's are sublime.
Dead Can Dance's Into the Labrinth-CD puts out a huge soundstage 3d like,amazing sonics