Perhaps we should stick with midfi...

I just bought a $60,000 system with big names like krell, Audio Research, Mcintosh, B&W 802 D speakers, Sony SACD, Transparent wires, etc, and I get more enjoyment from my sub $1000 I put together used with ADS speaker, NAD monitor pre amp, Onkyo Integra M-504 power amp, Toshiba SD-9200 DVD player (as CD and DVD).

I am thinking I should have stopped with my midfi system now...

Anyone else have similar sentiments, or is my ear not golden enough to hear the difference yet?
gonglee3
08-15-10: Prpixel writes:
Definitely a troll. Most of his equipment listed in his four systems is bargain bin and EBay deals
Possibly so. In one of his systems ("Mid is my love") he writes:
All who are constantly upgrading, this might be your answere as well. Also a sub. I am so satisfied with my system, I don't feel the need to upgrade any more, even after hearing a Krell/B&W combo.
So it seems like he heard the system he mentioned ("krell, Audio Research, Mcintosh, B&W 802 D speakers") rather than bought it.

Regards,
My question: What exactly is a "troll?" Is it a "shill" audio salesman who tries to stir up conversation about brands he sells? That definition would help me figure all this out and get more out of this thread. It seems the OP is asking a valid question-- with many of us arguing one way or the other, as is going on now. Thanks all!
"Troll": someone trolling for responses. They do not need answers, or comments, they either want to stir up trouble, or looking for entertainment.
In a post like this one, the trolling can offer some value to others, just as a comment on the question. Even if it does not assist the OP.
IoM on the OP question. I would say the critical thinking about the expensive system is overwhelming the persons ability to enjoy the music. They are to uptight to relax because of the money spent.
On the other side, just throwing big name stuff in a pile does not promise happiness.
There may be some trolling in the original post (in fact, it reads as though the original poster didn't actually spend 60 grand) but the underlying point is not a bad one. You can get a good setup with, say, Rotel components, and be probably 90% to 95% "there" (where "there" refers to some ultimate audio goal); especially if you don't custom design a special listening room. Beyond that, there is a rapidly decreasing return to scale for audio equipment where you spend exponentially more money for sonic improvements that increase at an exponentially decreasing rate.

High end is worth the money if you've got the disposable income to spare, but it's not worth breaking the bank to get there.