Underrated jazz greats

I listen to all sorts of music, but mostly jazz. There are many musicians who, for whatever reason, don't attract the attention that their great gifts possibly deserve. I would be interested to know who others think are hidden gems in the jazz world, who have contributed substantially to the genre.

I will begin with two musicians who I believe are outstanding, and deserving of the highest recognition.

1) Lew Tabackin - an outstanding tenor player, and a phenomenal jazz flutist in my view.

2) Sir Roland Hanna - tremendous command of the keyboard, and he thought around the perimeter of pieces to make them both musically and intellectually satisfying.

Very interested in others' thoughts.
stewartr
My list is tooo big.

Mark Nauseef
Freddy Studer
Torsten De Winkle
Marcus Stockhousen
Johanes Enders
Wolfgang Hafner
Fish for Fish
Nils Peter Molvaer
Marcus Wasilewski
Vlatko Stefanowski
Terje Rypdal
Filipe Catherine
Charlie Mariano
Jasper Vant Hoff
Bo Stief
Allan Holdsworth
Pere Ubu
Curlew
George Cartwright
Pierre Moerlen
David Sylvian
Mick Karn
Jon Hassel
Jah Wobble
Pop Mechanics
Oregon(Roscoe Mitchell)
Sun Ra
Edie Jobson
For me, I would say that, while fairly well known, Rashaan Roland Kirk was often dismissed in his time, primarily due to his politics and circus-like self promotion. His place in the history of jazz is not clear, but I truly believe that time will sort it out.

The last time that I saw him, at the Vanguard, was after the stroke, and only a couple of short months before his death. Since he had lost the use of essentially half his body, he had his strange instruments, strich and manzello, as well as the saxs and flutes, on floor stands, so that he could just walk from one to the other and finger with one hand. I never saw anyone who wanted to play that badly before or since. I never saw anyone so intent on communicating the full palette of their emotions so desperately. I have never heard emotion distilled into sound so completely. Rashaan will have his day.