How Long Ago Since You Cried Listening To Music?

For me is was last weekend, The group "Sugarland" singing "Stay".
paul_graham
I cry when I look at the systems on 'virtual systems' and then look at mine.
I just wiped the tears from my eyes a few minutes ago. If this thread didn't exist, I would have started it.

My wife is sleeping soundly and I'm in the living room in the middle of the night spinning vinyl on my Townshend Rock 7, wearing AKG K702 headphones driven by The Raptor Tube amp. Interesting for me to note that this community is where I thought to go right after this experience.

Tonight, I'd been listening to the new pressing of one of my most loved albums, Tea for the Tillerman -- specifically, the song "Into White" stood out above all the other great ones. Aside from being a beautiful song played soulfully and magnificently, the combination of this superb pressing (finally, I'm actually impressed with a reissue) and the "aliveness" with which my system resolved it engulfed me in an experience where the meaning the song had for the artist became palpable. I was helpless, immersed in emotions that reached me more deeply than I could anticipate.

Does occasionally squeezing out a few tears while being completely involved in the enjoyment of music make me a "girlie-man," as one cretin would have it? I'm not going to dignify that with the volley of barbs it deserves -- suffice to say, I'm sorry for those of you who have not experienced this and feel the need to exercise your fragile masculinity by belittling those who have.

Whether it's Cat Stevens on headphones or Metallica at full tilt in your car, I believe that feeling the emotional meaning of the artist is the highest potential of our shared obsession. If that doesn't justify spending as much time and money on our hobby, or crying when we finally get it, what would?
I guess that it is better for you to cry while your wife is sleeping than to cry because she left home after going to bed too many times without her audiophile-husband !!!