Best Jazz pianist

Who's the best Jazz pianist, or your favourite.
tmsorosk
I second bud Powell. I also really enjoy Marcus Roberts and Cyrus chestnut. One surprise - Harry connick jr can really play. Try some of his albums where he doesn't sing.
Ah, Art Tatum. Yeah I get where you're coming from Elizabeth and sometimes the arpeggio runs do go a bit over the top but that's Art. On the other hand his harmonic improvisation and the absolute effortless and ease of his playing is really astounding. I particularly enjoy his solo works where he can showcase his special talent. I really love some of his early stuff, the stride style of James Johnson and Fats Waller that has long gone out of style, he really took this up a notch or two. Oscar Peterson of more contemporary pianists is fun to listen to as well in that style. I wouldn't say he is my favorite because I have no one particular favorite, some are so original in their styles that it is too difficult to chose only one but I WOULD say without any reservation that Tatum is technically the best jazz pianist I've ever listened to.
Ahmad Jamal is absolutely a stunningly excellent pianist. He is melodic, original, fun and evocative. He tops my list... closely followed by a radically different pianist, Thelonius Monk.
Not surprised I haven't seen his name on this thread, but I am down with Sir Roland Hanna. An incredibly sensitive pianist with awesome technique. Not necessarily the best, whatever the metrics on that are, but very deserving of our recognition.