Manufacturers don't get it. make tubes visible.

After all of this time, why don't manufacturers get it? Everyone I talk to who owns tube gear wants to see, at the very least, the power tubes while the gear is operational. Many want to see the preamp tubes as well. So why do so many great manufacturers still bury the tubes inside of the gear? Are they afraid we will electrocute ourselves? And, if this is true, who is going to miss a few deranged audiophiles anyway, not to mention their wayward offspring and badly trained pets? Interestingly, large transmitting tubes which pose, by far, the greatest danger, are almost always out in the wind.
128x128viridian
Furthermore...the chassis ought to be glass, so you can see and gloat over all those expensive capacitors and resistors. Hopefully they don't glow.
Tubes are generally more prone to microphonics when they are exposed. For this reason alone, they should be inside the chassis.

Raquel your comment makes the mistake of assuming that audiophiles care primarily about the sound quality. Remember this is the same demographic that has a tendency to shun DBX testing - as the saying goes "seeing is believing" rather than "hearing is believing".

A fairer statement is that the sound has a lot to do with this hobby but it is far from being only about the 'technical' nature of the sound, like Don says

It's the fetish, not the sound. Same in the car world.

and there is absolutely no doubt about it...aestehtic consideratoins play a major roll and for some audiophiles it clearly dominates their perception of good or bad sound.
Tubes do look really cool and retro like - they are always guarenteed to elicit comments from anyone if they are visible, which leads to an enjoyable conversation about audio gear & music, often leading to greater anticipation and listening enjoyment. Also tubes can sound extremely good and no doubt sound "perceptively better" when on display, as a little microphonics never hurt anyone once they can see the glow.

"Perceptively better" is the same effect you get at a fine restaurant where a well dressed reverant waiter, the aesthetic food presentation and ritualistic behaviours can enhance the enjoyment of the food...and actually make it taste better...yes really!

Clearly the mind is strongly influenced by preconceived notions, visual and other cues, which is understandably why the rigor of DBX testing spoils things for many people - it takes away the magic.
Thanks for the input!

The preamp will actually look like the A100 Linear and brand new A150 Linear (the new A150 Linear and CD120T are my first products!!!) integrated amplifiers featured on my webpage http://www.ultravioletaudio.com/products.htm

The idea is to offer products that I feel put forth the right sonics and aesthetic, all between $995 and $1995. There are enough unobtainable components in this hobby; I want to reach out to people who yearn for good looking, good sounding, well built, reliable products they can afford.

There will be two CD players (already available), two solid state/hybrid integrateds (already available), the aforementioned tube preamplifier, two tube integrateds, a tube power amplifier, and a solid state mono/stereo (bridgeable) power amplifier. I have a few other component ideas, but this is enough to lay out where I'm trying to go.

All of the products will be available in either silver or anodized black aluminum. The pre/integrated amplifiers will all feature the same faceplate. Likewise, the power amplifiers will have their own faceplate.

I like the idea of a tube integrated/power amps on this chassis. For the record, the tubes WILL be on the outside. Picture a transformer cover on top, in the rear - tubes in front of that, shown off in all their glory.

Any thoughts on the look, thumbs up or down?
I've never thought about "seeing" the tubes, but all the mono block amps that I've owned sat fully exposed in all their naked glory, tubes bared, with no cages or protection.
You don't seem to notice them after awhile, but it's nice to see them just to remind you that they are there performing their magic.
My Cary SLI50 sits next to my Plasma TV and I had the unfortunate need for a Cox Cable person to come by and he asked "so what's the thing with all the glass bottles on it?" He seemed genuinely amazed when told it was an amplifier. I pulled all the tubes out this weekend and cleaned/polished the chrome chassis. I love the reflections of the tubes off the chrome chassis in a dark room. Nice and soothing like having a log burning in the fireplace (which I don't have).