What made you select "audio" as your hobby

I've read many posts here on Audiogon as to the extremes many of you have gone in pursuing sound perfection.
I wonder what made you select this "nutty hobby" in the first place??
goldeneraguy
Goldeneraguy, I don't think that I will ever be buying a $7500.00 amp, however I do have a very nice six-eye of Sketches of Spain, and I can recommend the album without reservation. You may also enjoy the original source material, Rodrigo's Contierto De Aranjuez. There are many good recordings of this, but the Mercury with the Rodrigos is my favorite. Guitarist Jim Hall also did a very nice piece based on the same source material, simply called Concierto, on CTI. Since it is a small band work, it almost sounds like chamber music compared to the original text or even Gil Evans arrangement for large band. Happy listening.
I love music, collecting CDs as well. I want the best possible playback system to connect these 2 facets.
Viridian,I did eventually find a 6 eye Sketches of Spain in a shop in Baltimore.Much better sounding then the Yellow Label I already had.I have Jim Halls Concierto but actually bought it because i'm a big fan of the Chet Baker.
I dont have it on Mercury but i also have a RCA RED SEAL and a version by the Ramsey Lewis Trio,his second group.
I dont have the amp any longer but the music lives on
Thank you for your post.
Enjoy
Have you ever heard a great put together system? If you have not do not seek out to do so. You'll answer your own question.