Source or speaker

I am reconfirming over and over again something that I discovered awhile back. Get the source right and everything else will follow. I have a system that often outshines what I hear in showrooms, but occasionally I hear something good in one of the shops too and it's because analog is the source.
My speakers can do it all but only when the signal is there.
What has been your experience?
What would you recommend to newbies?
pedrillo
Good point. I agree with picking the speaker first and then adding synergistic components. However, in allocating the budget, I like 20% for each major piece in a base-line system.

Dave
Post removed 
In my setup my tt, table arm and cartridge is 2 1/2 times as much as the speakers, but with the phono stage its close to three times. My pre and power amps are close to the same price as speakers. Of course it was all found here on gon, but I'm using retail prices.
We are lucky to have this site otherwise I would have half the system.
My intention is to take it to the highest level, but at this point I wouldn't know where to start any changes? I am afraid I'll mess things up.
I probably will get another arm to make it a two arm table, and then play with cartridges. Also preamps and power amps I can swap and see what happens. But I will not sell anything off unless I find the sound better!
Any suggestions????????
Pedrillo, are you listening in mono and stereo? If yes, then the two arm TT makes lots of common sense; otherwise, you're a "reviewer" comparing various cartridges, etc. That's actually fine and can be fun. I just wanted to be sure where you're at in this hobby. ;-)

Dave
Clearly, we hear differently.

I hear major differences between one room and another, one concert hall and another....others don't.

I hear major differences between one speaker and another....others don't.

I hear only subtle differences between digital sources and amplifiers....others hear major differences.

I rarely hear any difference at all between one interconnect and another or one cable and another...others hear major differences.

The end result is that we invest differently in our systems.

For example, I doubt I could hear the difference of suspending my amplifier from the ceiling with bungee cords...perhaps I have tin ears (probably true).