turning my system on during lightning storms

Does anybody do this

I've been listening to my system sparingly as we've had a large amount of lightning storms and find myself turning the system off quite often at the first sound of a storm approaching

Does surge protection really help ??
musicfile
I live in a highrise 40 story building.

I am wondering since there is probably a lightning rod on top of the building - that is probably okay. My concern however is cable TV (but that is an underground system) - perhaps that could bring lighting to the system?
Picking this thread up late, but still very relevant discussion. I thought my "high quality" AC line surge protector would do the job, but I'm glad I read the posts. Emailists is right about cable TV lines. My area is served by Comcast and I'm pretty sure the cable is above ground. I guess the problem is that a lightning strike could work its way through the cable, into my TV, and then into my preamp, into the amp to ground!! Yikes, the best line surge protector in the world won't help me in the event that scenario occurred.

Aren't there surge protectors out there that can also protect above ground cable TV inputs? And BTW, if a lightning strike came in through cable, a PurePower AC regenerator will not help!!

If I understand the science correctly, then the best advice is to disconnect the AC mains and TV cable, if the latter is from an above ground network. Does the forum concur?
I was in Palm Springs CA. a few summers ago doing some house sitting. A rare summer storm blew thru. At least 3 or 4 lightning strikes within a couple blocks. It rained like no tomorrow for about 2 hours.....than on to hot and humid

The damage?

The MODEM on the computer was dead.

Everything else was OK.
My house took a near hit many years ago. I remember seeing the entire street light up and hearing the boom.. Not really sure where the bolt landed, but it caused much damage, and my system wasn't even on. The input section of my tuner was blown to bits, literally, according to my technician. Possibly the bolt hit my antenna and came in, even though the mast was connected to an 8 foot copper ground rod. The antenna (yagi) was connected to a 300 to 75 ohm balun transformer to a grounding block onto my tuner. I never checked the condition of the balun or antenna, I was told to replace them both as they were probably fried.
The worst damage was to my power amp, an Apt A-1. It was plugged into the switched outlet of my Hapi 2 preamp, which was off. Two days after the strike, I switched on my system and was treated to some real fireworks. It looked like a sparkler was burning inside the Apt. I quickly unhooked it and ran it outside because it looked like it might set my house on fire. The technician who repaired it said every component except for the signal lights were ruined.
So how did this happen? It was theorized that the rapid and very powerful electric field induced a high current in the power transformer, which then cascaded throughout the rest of the amp. I'll never really know.
What I do know however, is that lightning does whatever it wants and that I was very thankful to have "replacement value" on my homeowners insurance. That's how I got my Aragon 2004. I believe most power conditioners come with equipment protection policies, but I don't know if they cover lightning.
In addition to the tuner and amp, my telephones were reprogrammed and my TVs were all magnetized to one color. The preamp was the only component in my house to come through unscathed.
Lightening striking and travelling along a ground wire into the house can easily bypass surge protector. This is above and beyond a "surge".